What non bushcraft books do you read?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
I am reading Plundering Paradise: Struggle for the Environment in the Philippines

The author meets people who live and depended on the rainforest and how their lives have changed and about the poverty of the childern within the Philippines.

Very sad but powerful book.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
A walk across America by Peter Jenkins
The Walk West by Peter and Barbara Jenkins
Jupiters Travels by Ted Simons
Dogsong by Gary Paulsen
Feet of clay by ffyona Campbell
On foot in africa by ffyona Campbell
The whole Story by ffyona Campbell

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (I’m reading this book for the second time, interspersed with reading K-Pac II)
The Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman will be my next purchase when I get enough book tokens to visit Smiths

There seems to be a theme going in here, my reading seems to be telling me something

To be honest I like to read anything and everything, I have read of all the Harry Potter books, I read and own all the Terry Pratchett books,
I am a book Junkie my job gives me lots of time to read

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Currently reading When the lion feeds by Wilbur Smith. I am working my way through all his books. I have never come across such amazing stories as what he writes.....................Jon

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
heeby said:
one of my favourite books is the dice man by luke rhinehart
I'm with you on that one, it's one of the funniest books I've read...:D Some of my other favourite non-bushcraft books would have to be 'The Book Of Atrus', 'The Book of Ti'ana' and 'The Book of D'ni' by Rand and Robyn Miller; 'On The Road' by Jack Kerouac; and 'Goodfellas' by Nicholas Pileggi. I'm currently switching between reading lots of books on the Spanish Civil War (for my dissertation), 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas', and 'Teach Yourself: The Middle East Since 1945'.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'll try anything to relieve the boredom when at work but not on shift (if you see what I mean) magazines like Smallholder/Country Smallholder carry some fascinating articles on weather prediction and on how things were done many years ago.
I enjoy Terry Pratchett and I must be up to date with the discworld series.
The other type of book I enjoy, are those written by Ex, or supposed Ex special forces members - the stories are very gung-ho, but there is always a great determination to acheive the goal - perhaps I'm hoping that some of it will rub off onto me :D

ATB

Ogri the trog

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Here is a picture of my book collection, not all of them, I have about fifty on the mantle piece cause theres no room left. And about 3-400 back in belfast. You could say I have an addiction.

Sorry the pic is a bit hefty. But it's the better way of showing some of the titles.

MOKV0497E5J6

Pic doesn't seem to want to work very well. keep refreshing maybe.

As you can guess I read an awful lot of books, though I tend to stick to the same authors and or themes.
Authors such as + recommended books by
Robert Heinlein, Tunnel in the sky
Larry Niven, Ring world series
Gordon R Dickson, Wolf and iron
Asimov, Foundation series
John Norman, Gor series
Jerry pournelle, Lots of work with niven But continues ring world connection...Man kintz war
Jean M Auel, Earths children series + DVD clan of the cave bear, just for reference
Arthur C clarke, Only own about six, Should get a dozen or so more.
Carl sagan, Contact, excellent book
Dan Brown, Yes I have one of them too, not a bad read Davinci of course I am talking about.
Stephen Baxter, The hermes fall
George R stewuart, Earth abides
Jerry ahern (if any one has 14-27 excluding 20 of the survivalist, can I buy them if not borrow to read them from you?)

The themes I tend to stick to are survival science fiction, Tunnel in the sky started me off, then came Lucifers hammer, SO add to the theme list End of the world stuff.

Reading paticular authors in survival sci fi lend to a like also of normal scifi mainly such as colonising and time travel etc.

Right now I am reading The last mamoth by Margaret Allan, Most interesting first page I ever read. Also first page of chapter three, Very different way of looking at things.

Oh and of course, Douglas adams.....It's all slarterbartfasts fault ya know.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
I have just read a book called Ishmael, if you love the environment and nature and want to find out what a state we as humans are doing to it i have three words READ THIS BOOOK! Its excellent!!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Currently reading the riftwar series by Raymond E. Feist. I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I'm reading Anthony Beevor's Berlin: The Downfall 1945. The I'm going to watch Downfall the movie. :rolleyes:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Another vote for Asimov here, masses of his stuff (lets face it theres plenty to choose from) and I find proper sci fi a lot better than fantasy.

Also have loads of Ian M Banks stuff and when I can get it, Verner Vinge.

Motorcycle technical books, I don't read as much nowadays as I used to as I don't get as much time.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
I'm looking out for fantsasy type books involving characters going on perilous journey's like Hobbitt and the like. Plenty of outdoor stuff. Any suggestions out there?

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Had a quick look on Amazon and I think I might give it a go. Have you read Mythago Wood? I think I might give it a whirl as well.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Just had a look at Amazon. That's book reviews for you. Everyone''ll read them differently. As for Song of Albion, book 2 from Tegid's perspective is what done it for me. The story is grand throughout but the second book is genius ;) .

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have just read Mario Puzo's Omerta, and realy enjoyed it, just as good as the Godfarther.

And Patrick Robinson's Seawolf, was quite good, I think I will try and get a few more of his books

Next on the list is John Peel's autobiography

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Grooveski said:
Just had a look at Amazon. That's book reviews for you. Everyone''ll read them differently. As for Song of Albion, book 2 from Tegid's perspective is what done it for me. The story is grand throughout but the second book is genius ;) .

Cheers Grooveski, Ill give it a go.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i am currently reading Tamerlane Sword of Islam Conqueror of the World

by Justin Marozzi. Good read. i like my miltary history. Just finished The Punic Wars.

Favourite fiction would be Legend by David Gemell or the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
ScottC said:
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is a good read, quite deep though.

I must say that I have been tempted by Thomas Covenant but it's a big commitment. I dread the thought of getting to the end of such an epic story and being let down. I read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and it was quite long and, er, quite rubbish. :(

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
After the first chronicles there is the second chronicles which is just as big ;) Good books though. He's recently written the final book Runes of the Earth, not read it yet. Atleast you wont go without something to read for a while.

Know what you mean about Jonathan Strange & Norell :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE