What knife and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I always carry a SAK (huntsman). It's perfect for my everyday cutting tasks. I don't need supersteels for a knife that will be used for a day. If it gets a lot of use at 1 day it can be sharpened. It doesn't have to be sharp for a week.
When I'm out I also carry a fixed knife (BRKT snowy river) and a cheap mora. An axe does come in handy most of the time.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
a frost mora for splitting wood, i would buy a bigger one next for splitting and to make feather sticks easier

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I always carry a SAK Soldier in my pocket (except in airports - I usually forget to put it in my main bag and so it gets nabbed!) because they're durable, useful and beautifully made. When out and about, it's either my Woodlore or one of Alan Wood's stainless Bushcrafters.

Changes? Well, I would prefer both the AW blades to be tapered towards the tip - nothing radical, just a gradual one from 4mm to 3 or 2.5mm - simply to make carving turns a bit easier and maybe to improve the balance a little. In terms of the steels, both the 01 and the RWL-34 are very good in their own ways and frankly, I do not know enough about their make-up and characteristics for me to pass an informed opinion. They both work and that's good enough for me.

I have also started carrying and using a Doug Ritter folding blade, made by Benchmade. Although not deemed worthwhile by the vast majority of bushcrafty folk, this is actually a pretty damn handy blade - well made and, despite my comment above, using a fantastic steel. If only someone would start making a Woodlore-style bushcraft knife out of S30V! As steels go, this seems to be worth a serious look.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Tiley said:
If only someone would start making a Woodlore-style bushcraft knife out of S30V! As steels go, this seems to be worth a serious look.

They do.IIRC Wayne and E-spy(both members on here) have Roger Linger knives in S30v.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
bushwacker bob said:
They do.IIRC Wayne and E-spy(both members on here) have Roger Linger knives in S30v.

I have one from Roger as well.

linger1c.jpg

Last edited:

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I carry a Fallkniven F1, I like the strength and weight of the knife as well as the overall design. The only thing I would change is the sheath, I have a Rapidboy sheath with a firesteel loop on in a dangler style, it suits me better than the original.

I also sometimes carry a Leatherman Wave or a Gerber Suspension.

Stewey.

I use a mora everyday fixed blade in carbon as my main knife-it's cheap cheerful and I've no fear of losing it or breaking it.

I carry an opinel folder in my pocket-this is my main skinning knife for any roadkill pheasant... aswell as a leatherman wave as tool for fixing things.

When I'm out camping I always take my Dunsford billhook, I challenge anyone to say an axe is better. For everyday camp chores this beets an axe hands down every time and I keep an edge on mine that is rasor sharp with a sythe stone.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Mmmmmmm thanks all,

What is the general feeling on the grinds of your knives?

Handle materials?

Sheath materials

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nearly always got a leatherman wave on my belt, cos its so handy, but when out in the woods, its usually my lapp puukko, cos it was highly recomended on a review here a while ago, but now I have an F1, that is more and more being my first choice knife, finding it can do most tasks, and do the well.....Also, I have found it makes more sparks on a fire steel than any other knife I have so far seen, infact, it eats fire steels.....

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Pignut said:
Mmmmmmm thanks all,

What is the general feeling on the grinds of your knives?

Handle materials?

Sheath materials

It all depends!

I like convex, scandi, flat but generally not hollow.

Wood and synthetic handles.

Leather mostly but kydex has it's place!

:rolleyes:

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I used to carry a mora until Roefisher was kind enough to give me a shingfield knife blade fitted with rapidboy scales and sheath. Totally awesome :D . I can see myself using this knife for years to come because the quality is amazing. I will have to post some pics. Anyone know how i can do this. :confused: :confused:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My everyday work knife is one of these fine quality custom knives....
Image7-12.jpg

Its cheap, I don't mind throwing the blade away after cutting DPC against concrete and did I mention that it's cheap?
But I also have a lot of chisels, planes and even an axe (that hardly ever gets used) in my toolbox.

Weirdly enough I can sometimes take the dog for a walk without (gasp !!!!) ) a knife.

I sometimes have one on me but I simply don't "need" one all the time so don't bother carrying one a lot.
When I am out camping I do take one pretty much out of habit as I have since being a nipper but I suspect that I am getting out of my "must have" the poshest knife obsession phase.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i use a frosts clipper because its cheap, i do have a few more knives but i always reach for this one
leon

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I carry a Frost Mora when I'm in the woods as it's cheap as chips but does the job for me!

I used to carry a little swiss army knife for day to day, but working in a office I just never used, I managed to stave the impulse to turn my desk into a feather stick! :D

I've just got some Japanese water stones, so looking forward to using those the next week or so!

P

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
I either carry a frosts mora or more recently the helle fjellkniven. T
The helle's handle is very comfortable perhaps not perfect but none the less very good. The knife blade is pretty good too very similar size & shape to the standard green handled Mora. Now where the knife falls down in my eyes is in the steel used (laminated stainless) It certainly sharpen en’s easily but it does seem prone to taking damage scraping the blade on wood will roll the edge very quickly, perhaps this should be expected but even scoring pine has rolled the edge before. Don’t get me wrong I really like the knife but it would be nice if the steel were that bit tougher.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE