What is your favourite bushcraft book or video series?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all,

You can catch some of the Dick Proenneke series on Youtube, well worth a watch and handy as I think the dvd/video is hard to source.

My choice of books would be by Ray Mears: 'Essential Bushcraft' and 'The Outdoor Survival Handbook' Both cover similar ground but are still interesting to read. I often seem to have one or t'other at hand for perusal while commuting to and from work on the train.

As for a TV Series, don't bother just hunt about on Youtube, there's tons of great stuff to watch and learn on there for free. I (and many others) will recommend checking out a channel called 'MCQ Bushcraft', Mike puts together some great videos and he clearly know's his stuff.

Hi all,

You can catch some of the Dick Proenneke series on Youtube, well worth a watch and handy as I think the dvd/video is hard to source...

Nice recommendation, Barney Rubble! I own both DVDs and enjoy them very much! I prefer the first one (Part I) because it focuses on him constructing his cabin. I admire his ingenuity.

Ordering the DVDs in the United States is not difficult. So purchased them to show my appreciation for the work that went into making them.

- Woodsorrel

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
There is a gentleman, Paul Tawrell that has very good source books. I like them a lot.
As for a series on survival a very competent gentleman is Tony Nester, intelligent and experienced.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Being a forget full old man I neglected to mention Bradford Angiers, a great gentleman and his lovely wife Vena.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I found multiple copies of Survival Advantage in the tiny shop on Flatholme Island. No one knew why they had it. But it was knocked down and I bought one and gosh it's good.

I also love Ellsworth Jaegar. I'd also say that some of the primitive skills books such as the McPhersons books are quite good too - but any of these need to be considered in the context of the actual environment you are in rather than the one u wish you were in!

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Thanks for all these replies. It's given me a very long wish list! In the end I asked for a book, Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski.The video series looked quite expensive and with so much on YouTube now, I thought a book to take into the woods would be a nice idea.
I have a couple of Ray Mears books which I love. I also bought Camp-Lore and Woodcraft by Dan Beard which was suggested by Amazon when I was looking at Woodcraft and camping by George Washington Sears.
Please keep the suggestions coming. I think this thread could be a useful one for people wanting to know what's out there :)

benn25

Sep 30, 2015
london
Bushcraft - Mors Kochanski
The 10 Bushcraft Books - Richard Graves

Currently reading these 2 and are both excellent so far

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Bushcraft - Mors Kochanski
Wildwood Wisdom - Ellsworth Jaeger
The Book of Camping & Wood​craft: A Guidebook For Those Who Travel In The Wilderness - Horace Kephart
Outdoor Survival Skills - Larry Dean Olsen
Camp-Lore and Woodcraft - Daniel C. Beard
Lost Country Life - Dorothy Hartley

All of these are great books, worth buying and reading.

Dec 2, 2015
Northern Sweden
Hi! I don't know if they're available in English, but someone meantioned the Swedish author Yngve Rydh. Especially two of his books are well worth trying too find: Eld (Fire), as meantioned earlier, is about traditional Sami ways of making fire. The other is called Snö (Snow) and tells us everything there is to know about different types of snow, and how to use it!

/Daniel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE