What is the best bushcrafting dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
I'm thinking about getting a dog that can be a good companion and can follow me without great effort on my hikes and bushcraft.

I'm thiking about getting a medium sized dog like a beagle what do you think?

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Hi Bush_Man,

I have beagle, he is 2.5 years old and I wouldn't suggest getting one. They are a huge amount of work, they are very demanding and determined. If you ever wish to play fetch with your dog, don't get a beagle as they are only interested in what they can smell. If you like a dog that is very hard to train, runs off at the slightest smell of any scent, eats anything and everything (beagles are known for getting fat) and can break out howling at any hour of the day then Beagles are great. To be fair he has a great personality, is very friendly and his tail never (and I mean never) stops wagging.

He is a pure breed tri colour that is considered an almost perfect example of a beagle with full paper work and a good parentage. I took him to training classes for a year and my wife is at home during the day so was working with him intensively. Recalls are very, very hard to teach, even now he doesn't recall 100% and we have to be very careful about where we let him off the lead, even the trainer had difficulty holding his attention during the classes when giving hands on advice.

The prospect of having to take him camping though would stop me from going. I know 3 other beagle owners and all say the same thing.

With the experience i have now how I would go about selecting a dog is completely different to before. Trainability definately has to be top of the list. Beagles are great with the right owners and circumstances but i wouldn't recommend them for what you are suggesting.

If you have any questions just drop me a PM.

Stephen

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Hi lads!

Bushcraft dog?....

Well, first of all it needs to be a quiet dog. That is it does not make noise while hunting, either barking or shuffling (It has to be light footed).

It cannot wander off, but stay close, watch for silent commands and always stay alert. A reliable dog that you can turn your back on and know it will not stray, but instead remain on watch. When bushcrafting, tracking and hunting, you cannot afford to be making noise, like calling for your dog, so a dog who listens and watchs for your every command is essential.

It has to have a good nose, either for air scenting, or ground scenting, and able to quietly let you know when it has scensed prey.

It must be loyal to you, and be wary of people, yet friendly not aggressive.

It has to be able to assist in hunting and catching prey. If its about survival, the dog must be worth it's daily portion of meat. So a dog that can catch a significant amount of food is essential.

You would ideally like a dog that does not stand out against it's background, but has a dull coat colour.

The dog must be able to understand your request, go out, perform the duty independantely if neccesary and return to you with quarry or lead you to it.

My conclusion:
The only dog breed that I can think of that fit this duty is a collie greyhound hybrid. I am particular to the collie greyhound cross, as I have found this type of dog to possess all these qualities. A collie may be handy as well, but it will struggle when it comes to catching game for you like a lurcher.

Here is my dog. Can you see him?

dogcamo.jpg

Bones

Is he behind the second tree on the right? I'm sure I spotted something moving. :(

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
This thread makes me miss my dog :( he was my best friend since I was 11. Died last year. I want a dog but I work odd hours and don't think I could give em the time needed.

Dogface-1.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Dogs rock !! This is my favourite dog quote......
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”
Anon

S

steelyglint

I reckon a Spaniel is all anyone needs Tireless, loyal, loving with the family and my best mates, Henry is the Liver and white Jerry the Black and white (jerry springer geddit?)
DSC00729.jpg

12082008054.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
buick1d
[/URL][/IMG]
buick1d
[/URL][/IMG]
This is my "little" pooch, maybe not the best bushcraft dog but he can carry an awful lot of gear in his saddlepack and when I get round to making a cart for him he can carry all my gear.
Pretty handy when the outboard packs up also

And that is a full size 3 seater sofa in the picture

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Our much loved 12.5 year old Boxer passed recently. After a very happy healthy life. :D
Not the best bushcrafter, but definitely mans best friend.

DSC00256.jpg
[/IMG]

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Had a Border Collie and a Greyhound. Both went to the Cornwall RV's and other events and were great in the woods. Now have 2 Saluki's for desert camping. Great dogs, they bring back what ever they catch to share with you (including snakes!). Very fast and loyal.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Im about to get a doberman and just wondering how do you chaps keep your big dogs during the night, out in the camp?

In the hammock will be silly, in a tent seems most logical, or if im ground dwelling should be easy, but, do they run off middle of the night? do you secure your god with rope? what do you use for a bed for them? Any tips are welcomed.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm thinking about getting a dog that can be a good companion and can follow me without great effort on my hikes and bushcraft.

I'm thiking about getting a medium sized dog like a beagle what do you think?

Only if you're going to keep it on a leash. A beagle is a hunting dog and will chase any and everything. Also they will eat themselves to death if you don't watch them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I had several dogs growing up. Back then "bushcrafting" wasn't a recreation per sey. It was just part of everyday life and my dog or dogs always went with me. Hiking, hunting, horseback riding, fishing, swimming, tending the cattle, camping, etc. I had many breeds, German Shepherds, Pointers, English Shepherds (actually an American breed that seems mostly desended from Collies and/or Border Collies), Boxers and a Mutt. They all did excellently. More recently I had a Wolf/Malamute hybrid that I loved taking everywhere. She lived to the age of 17 and was absolutely convinced that her only reason to exist was to be with me. She was also the gentlest dog I ever owned. She was great with kids, cats and adults. The only time she was aggressive was toward another female dog when she was in heat. She absolutely would not tolerate competition! I would love another like her but I won't put another breed like that through the Florida climate. The real answer is pick one suitable to your climate and budget. Maybe consider an Australian Shepherd or Australian Cattle Dog.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i like to go out with my grandads golden lab/retriver as he had a time before we had him were he spent a few years on his own living and hunting up the local ruffs and the was found and used as a hunting dog (a bit of a pain while praticing on the air rifle as he tends to chase the shot) hes very loyal and its great as he is very fond of kids and only likes to listen to commands given by kids which i like as im only 13. I also had a belgian / german shepherd who was extremely intelligent and if anyone saw him in the woods at they would probably drop a brick as he was pitch black and looked exactly like a wolf

Wolves are grey. I used to own one. I still miss her.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
An Alaskan Malamute then, just like my own. Packs up to 20 lbs in her backpack, has thick fur, has been known to catch a salmon once, but does have selective hearing.

Probably a good choise in the UK. I loved my Malamute/Wolf cross but would never get another one in a warm climate. They suffer terribly in the heat. Did you know that the Eskimo used to feed them salmon exclusively? I forget which species of salmon but they called them "Dogfish" and fed 1 salmon to each dog per day. They thrived on it!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can understand why people like gun dogs, but if you are going to use a gun what is the point of a dog & as i use both for over 20 years for mooching i still think lurchers are the best for putting food on the table & lets be frank about it you wont get poachers running springers & labs unless its full of shot the 3 dogs i think are true pot fillers are jacks , patters & lurchers

I've used both guns and dogs all my life (54 years). The dog finds the game and (in the case of bird dogs) points and retrieves it. In the case of deer, squirrel, rabbit. bear and cougar dogs (usually breeds such as Black & Tan Coonhounds, Beagles, Walkers or other hounds) they chase it out of the brush and within gun range. Labradors (and most retrievers) were actually originally bred simply to retireve ducks and other waterfowl that the hunter had shot. Coonhounds on the other hand are exactly as you described; their purpose is to find and tree the raccoon then wait for the hunter to dislodge it so they can kill it on the ground. I miss real big game hunting from a mountain camp after packing in with a mule train. Maybe one day I'll get back out West.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE