Best Ferro Rod device

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I’ve got a kupilka which works nicely, has a decent grip and the striker is fairly thick with a solid edge.

My older firesteel is a Howl one I think. Small trapezoid grip and a fairly thin plain striker. Okay, the Kupilka strikes a bit easier.

I have one of the tiny strikers that you get three for a couple of quid. I bought a load for the infants forest school. It’s a bit fiddly but does work.
It’s not my choice with cold hands or trying to light something in a container.

I picked up one of those rods than come in an aluminium case and a screw out striker. Very cheap but too thin for me and I can’t get on with it. Works so bit better with a knife.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
On the cheap, would a vitamin tube do the job? One of the ones that have those fizzy jobs in?
Nick (Hidden Valley) did a match pot with one. I can't find it at the moment.
You can wrap it in inner tube for extra tinder, and probably fit a ferro rod without a handle inside, with extra tinder?

Weighs almost nothing, as a tube, and is waterproof. I put mine in the sink to make sure!
You could even get lucky and find one in a recycling bin if you don't want the cost, or the vitamins (and their alleged health-benefitting properties)! :naughty:

Most likely

But now I have my magpie eye on a Pancea X firefly....

so.... mission creep....

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
Asda's own steradent tablets come in a tube,79p i think,snap on lid,plus you can use the tabs for sterilising and removing any whiffs from plastic water bottles,job jobbed.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Shameless plug… The ones I make myself are very good. Made of the same material as the LMF or RM ones as far as I can tell. :)

I'm sure that they are good.

My original question was :-
"
What is the best modern firelighter Ferro rod based device you've seen or used?

And what makes it the best?

I've seen the orginal blocks of Magnesium with a Ferro rod glued in , Exotac products , A lot of the Light my Fire ones - but which do you consider is the best and why?

I'm looking for something that has the ability to contain some dry tinder in around the rod and is sealable - but that is my criteria - what is yours?
"

So not just the Ferro rod ITSELF but the whole thing - designs with tinder compartments - clever inclusion of strikers , magnesium - ive never really found it a huge benefit but others may have etc

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I'm sure that they are good.

My original question was :-
"
What is the best modern firelighter Ferro rod based device you've seen or used?

And what makes it the best?

I've seen the orginal blocks of Magnesium with a Ferro rod glued in , Exotac products , A lot of the Light my Fire ones - but which do you consider is the best and why?

I'm looking for something that has the ability to contain some dry tinder in around the rod and is sealable - but that is my criteria - what is yours?
"

So not just the Ferro rod ITSELF but the whole thing - designs with tinder compartments - clever inclusion of strikers , magnesium - ive never really found it a huge benefit but others may have etc

I don’t use tinder compartments or anything like that, I believe a ferro rod should be a basic and simple tool. The idea being that you learn more about natural tinder and you don’t need to carry any extras, it’s already out there you just need the knowledge that goes with it. If your taking something that bulky you may as well take a matchbox and some fire lighters because really what’s the difference?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I don’t use tinder compartments or anything like that, I believe a ferro rod should be a basic and simple tool. The idea being that you learn more about natural tinder and you don’t need to carry any extras, it’s already out there you just need the knowledge that goes with it. If your taking something that bulky you may as well take a matchbox and some fire lighters because really what’s the difference?

well , i'm ok about not getting into a long convo about it but my op was more related to the item for non-bushcrafty type angle. i'd also happily suggest that there is nothing basic about a ferro rod if we are looking at a 'basic' simple bushcrafty resource. its a modern manufactured piece of metallurgy. so yes maybe a matchbox is a good point for a counter argument but a matchbox carries a limited number of uses.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
That was my point also but wasn’t as well received lol

Reactions: Poacherman

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
All ferro rods are good it’s tinder that’s important a curled peice birch bark with its skin finely shaved takes a tiny spark n combusts instantly start from bottom so flame catches curled bit
That's true they all work iff you have the very simple skill to use one ,tinder can get stored in a more sane amount in a pocket.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Yeh a ferro rod would have to be oversized to carry tinder, pockets can carry sane amounts off that.Maybe looking like Batman is the OPs style though I'm unsure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE