What have you forraged lately?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

Murph

Foraged some chicken of the woods the other day that went in a veg curry.

I'm sure I noticed some of that when I was walking today.I'm not sure about mushrooms so I just left it.

Me and my boy picked some brambles on saturday,never done anything cooking wise we just ate them as we went along.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
a few hazelnuts :)

FFFF2.jpg

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Pub condiment sachets :wink:

I like that!!!!

Been out alot, brambles, brambles and brambles, field 'srooms, puffballs (stump and common), charcoal burner, bay bolete, apples, plums, poppy seeds, red clover, fat hen, red currants, blackcurrants and hopefully more later today - on the hunt.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Blackberries - for Vodka, Wine, Jelly and crumbles...
Blackberry stems - for basket weaving....
not had time to forage for owt else - the blackberry harvest is poor around here this year and I have had to go furthur and pick more (small) berries than usual....to make the 12lbs picked so far (still need to pick about another24lbs to have enough).
I am getting pleanty of stems though!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Acorns for coffee :) and beechnuts just for munching :cool:

I've been filling my herb stores. Feverfew, Blackcurrant leaves, red clover flowers (late for these here) melissa and mugwort today.

Masses of wild strawberries and brambles, and I need to pick the rosehips, the rowans and the elderberries.

cheers,
M

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Elderberries, blackberries, greengages, vic plums from a roadside tree:) No hazelnuts yet, saw loads in the Highlands on holiday but none around here. Rowans, crabbs, windfall apples for cyder mmmm, rowans (jelly) dandelion, burdock, watercress.

Not a bad year for forraging. Just wish I didn't have this annoying thing called work in the way of my forraging ;)

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Elderberries, blackberries, greengages, vic plums from a roadside tree:) No hazelnuts yet, saw loads in the Highlands on holiday but none around here. Rowans, crabbs, windfall apples for cyder mmmm, rowans (jelly) dandelion, burdock, watercress.

Not a bad year for forraging. Just wish I didn't have this annoying thing called work in the way of my forraging ;)

One of my top three favourite fruits, my mam was a barra woman, my brothers and I, at different ages, would push the barra to the Pier Head on the Mersey every Sunday and during the holidays, before I arrived, I'd eat a pound or two of Victoria plums, don't see many in the shops nowadays. :(

hardr004

Forager
Jan 16, 2010
chichester
we have gone foraging for black berries, elderberries, sloes, haws, hose hips, marsh shamphirem sea purslane, nettles, common mallow, sea beet and ses kale.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Rose hips this evening boiling away now to make a syrup out of then add some alcohol /spirit probably vodka but maybe schnapps
Its an experiment based on a hungarian drink

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lots of sloes and rosehips today. Hazelnuts yesterday. From Monday I will be foraging for a new job, having lost mine today. Got the phone call on my way home from work - they didn't even have the guts to tell me to my face.

Might be something to do with the rubber band I fired at the boss this morning... :p Nearly landed it in her cup of tea!

To be honest I'm well out of there. More time for foraging for other stuff too!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Okay, putting the job thing behind me, today I foraged sloes, rosehips (2 varieties), rowan berries, hawthorn berries, some unripe walnuts, apples, berries from guelder rose, some balckberries (eaten at the time), a small quantity of elderberries (very thin on the ground - I only found one tree), two nice pieces of hawthorn wood, and a leather gillet (this last for a quid from a small car boot sale).

A very nice day.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I got some blackberries, hazelnuts AND sweet chesnuts from Wicklow ireland on saturday, Everything that went out of season at home is JUST coming into season over there I was GOBSMACKED. Nearly as much as the bloke scanning my luggage at the airport on sunday lol

Dave

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Had a real nice haul of pristine Hedgehog Fungus at the weekend and the one before. I'll saute them tonight and freeze them for future use. I've been doing loads of scrambled eggs and pastas and pizza with them. They're in really good shape and taste as nice as Chanterelle I'd say.Happy days, can't beat a bit of free food.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Foraged a load of chestnuts last week but about half of them turned out to have grubs living in them. I opened the duds and chucked them on the bird feeder, they went very quickly :)

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
in the last two weeks, Apples (cooking) fermenting into a nice wine. nice chestnuts, hawthorn berries (now leather), blackberries that went mouldy days after i picked them:(, sloes, limbs of fallen trees (Willow and chestnut) to make tree hooks from, and a nice piece of spalted birch burr (that was found to be 60% mush riddled with worm and grubs :( ) so all in all a mixed bag.
I do hope the Birch (40% that is solid) is salvagable as it looks lovely went sliced
Oh and the elderberry port is now bottled ready for Xmas (tastes very nice even after reading all the folk saying it would be rott for the first year...must have just gotten some nice berries :) )
Mojo

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive found a spot recently where I could fill a couple of buckets with blackberries in about ten minutes, but, in the past, I've found little grubs in the fruit which has put me off picking them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE