What have you forraged lately?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys

just wondering what everyone is foraging at the moment? not just food but any natural resource (that's why i didnt post it in the grub section)

Recently ive gathered elderflowers and hawthorn blossoms, both for wine. My next forray will be for some nettles as I'm gonna give cordage a go!! (nervous giggle)

Thanks all
Dave

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Only thig I've got recently is some elder for hand drill, willow bark and chicken of the woods. Oh and a couple of cramp balls.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I'm off for a forage this weekend, i want some nettles for cordage birch bark to start puting together a fire pouch and hopefully cramp balls although not sure where to look for those!! and i wanted some wood for whittling, also a reckie as to where the various fruits im waiting for are upto lol

Thanks Dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
on that note can anyone suggest good carving wood and how to aquire it? I dont have any experience in taking wood from the tree, can i just take what i want or it there a specific area of the tree/time of year to do this?

Thanks Dave

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've been very foragy lately. Marsh samphire, raspberries, meadowsweet, some wych elm (just because), a few bits of ash, a bit of rhododendron (now a 2-pronged fork), harlequin ladybirds, and spotting lots of unripe sloes, apples and plums for later on. Plus going limpet collecting on the weekend. Oh, and pounds and pounds of cherries.

It keeps me busy.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I've just found a service tree slap bang in the middle of my local park, so I can happily claim to having foraged ONE chequer. and I'll leave the rest for several months (Bleh!) :)
twas a nice walk as I then continued my recent daily habit by using my tele rod to haul yet another carp out of the pond. (7lb grass carp today)
(all fish returned btw)

Last edited:

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
I was going to say nothing as picking up pinecones is such a habit it doesn't really register as doing , so I did that . Apart from that just checked on some cherry trees to see how they were coming on . And got a stand of nettles to go back to ( thankyou JD ) .
Cheers ,Trev .

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
birch bark, cramp balls, and some sycamore for my bow drill, also made some nettle soup. Got hazel nuts growing at the bottom of the garden, so will pick those later on if the squirrels don't get them first and dead bracken leaves for tinder.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Got hazel nuts growing at the bottom of the garden, so will pick those later on if the squirrels don't get them first .

hehe , in ten years I've only beaten the squirrals once , I'm sure that if I dug up my garden I'd find a layer of nuts about an inch down - the little nutburying buggers.
Cheers , Trev .

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Bluebereries ripe already, believe it or not...we did a long climb onto a high ridge, and on the sunny patches there were lots of berries...a couple
weeks ahead of the lowland berries...maybe that would explain why all the bear sign was up on the ridge.....:confused:

roundscjune2010024.jpg

Saw some eagles soaring above also...
roundscjune2010016.jpg

roundscjune2010025.jpg

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
still tucking into nice cold Nettle ale....it's a bit strange but 'I made it' so it does not matter about that hey :eek:
Found some pignut on the walk laast week.
Well next i'd like a run at cordage...and as is by magic a willow has fallen and i need to take limbs off (as they are crushing the boundry fence) so...gifted more projects by natures bounty

Does digging up my potatoes in thegarden count :pokenest:

Mojo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE