What happens at a meetup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brainflex

Nov 6, 2004
I am thinking of having a meet at my wood but before I do, What goes on? as I have never been to one. :?:

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Brainflex if they're your woods and its your meet up you decide what you want to do!

If I owned a wood I would have a group of like minded friends over and we'd start a club, and via this book courses for the group and bulk by items of interest.

But as we have seen on the Ashdown thread you have to be careful who you invite and there will always be people with 'other' motives who wish to spoil things.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I wasn't sure when I went to our Devon one, but we all just turned up and it just kinda flowed from there. It doesn't really matter, just have fun. Since we're all into the same thing we've always a fair bit to chat about :biggthump

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I guess a meetup is what you want it to be, and if you own the wood, you make the rules!

I can only comment about that happened in the Devon meet, I think everyone at the meet were a little apprehensive initially, I also think we had very little in common other than bushcraft, but as we talked I think we found common ground, and all went away with the feeling that we had met people we could get on with. Everyone seemed enthusiastic over the suggestion of making this a semi-regular event and we will probably have a few walk-a-bouts on the moor sometime. I personally learned a massive amount for such a few short hours and hope to learn a lot from these guys in the future, I certainly have a new found respect for them. What actually happened was we initially discussed the kit we had, that led to disagreements and differing opinions over kit uses etc, it went on from there, carrying a little kit with you certainly got the ball rolling. We spent the time swapping information, talking about bushcraft in general, the forum in particular. Even a little philosophy.

I would suggest that you make the initial meet up relatively short, you are all strangers and people need time to get to know each other, also meet in a public place, this is safer for all concerned (even if you look like Arnie!). Why dont you meet in town for a few drinks first, you dont have to go to a pub, (although it helps to break the ice), you could meet on a Saturday morning or so, that way you make sure you can get on with them before you invite everyone round to your woods.

Greg

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Pretty much anything you want in bushcraft terms and within reason and common sense....

Just got back from a really nice weekend in Ashdown... all really nice people and not one complete :nono: there... :wink: lol :rolmao:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
you dont want to know Hootchi.

HERE ONE THING THAT HAPPENS AT A MEET UP

ashdownjan05008.jpg

OR

ashdownjan05012.jpg

:super:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
tomtom said:
tell us whos who Gray :hyper:

I could tell you tomtom but as I didnt black out their eyes i'd have to kill you!

Great birchcraft ladles/cups and bowl though!

D

DOC-CANADA

Gary said:
HERE ONE THING THAT HAPPENS AT A MEET UP

Hi Gary;

It would be interesting for us, across the pond, who may never have the opportunity for a face to face, to know who is in the picture.

:smile: Doc :smile:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Guys I cant tell you everyone as I cant tremember their bcuk and real names!!

Retreat from Moscow - (it was very cold so most apt) - left to right

Paul from swindon - Bob cooper (not the famous Oz bushcrafter) - Olly - Andy

Ladles and Birch Bowl -

Bushwalker - Nick (kimboko) - Jake

EVERYBODY HAPPY NOW!! :nana:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE