What do you not eat that therefore makes you "weird"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As a bartender people find it weird that I have an anaphylactic reaction to gin.
Juniper bush will bring me out in a rash from head to toe in seconds but gin just shuts me down entirely.
Epipen is an essential in my bar kit.
Weird huh?
I carry an epi-pen for cleg bites, but your allergy is scary. Gin is such a big bit of bar/ cocktail mixes, that it must be really hard to avoid. At least mine is limited to just a few months of the year. You don't get a break.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Allergies are an inconvenience to others but also they're not exactly the highlight of the sufferers life either, so whilst I find a.few things become a challenge with some, they're not doing it on purpose.

It's strange, I don't really recall being told I had to clear my plate, I do recall being told not to waste food - as in don't take more than you can eat, and to eat my vegetables because they're good for me... those 2 things have stuck with me, and as a child I knew what I liked and what I was less fond of... (sorry veggies and vegans) - but I love meat and of course gravy and spuds and those sorts of things too, so if I had (and still do) a roast dinner, I'll eat all the veggies first "because they're good for me", then I'll eat the bits I enjoy next, always clearing my plate...

Even now if my wife makes me a sandwich or something with salad on the side, I'll wolf down the salad to get it out the way before I move onto the enjoyable (for me) bit.

• Haha
Reactions: wookii

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
We are finding that aging is having a bad affect on our food tolerance. Whereas Madame has always had an allergy to shellfish, I had been able to eat anything. Now we are in our 80s, the list of things one or other of us cannot eat for medical reasons grows monthly. It doesn't help that there are things I can eat and she can't and vice versa. The result is a restricted menu for meal times.

Take my advice: eat and drink what you like while you still can.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
We are finding that aging is having a bad affect on our food tolerance. Whereas Madame has always had an allergy to shellfish, I had been able to eat anything. Now we are in our 80s, the list of things one or other of us cannot eat for medical reasons grows monthly. It doesn't help that there are things I can eat and she can't and vice versa. The result is a restricted menu for meal times.

Take my advice: eat and drink what you like while you still can.
Indeed, Just in moderation or one may not make it to older age.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
What's really annoying, is cheese.
I LOVE cheese. LOVE IT, I tell.
A lovely, crusty, strong stilton. A gorgeously creamy brie or cambazola.
All of it. Well, not edam, obviously. Or mild cheddar. Mild cheddar is like Ed Sheeran - cheese/music for people who don't really like cheese/music.
There's just one major problem.
Cheese doesn't like me.
Gutted. Literally, if I eat cheese.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
In the eighties, the local KFC to where I lived caused a food poisoning outbreak; I've never been convinced of the need to try it since :)

If you don't feel like you're missing out then don't bother... It's so full of **** I'd imagine nutrition wise its likely abysmal and the last thing anyone needs is to get a taste for it...

I miss the junk food and convenience factor of it, I could gorge myself for not a vast amount of money (takeaway price wise anyway), but I'd rather cook at home...

Reactions: Broch

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Yeh exactly! I think we fell into a trap of its convenience when we were doing work in our kitchen...I'd rather cook.

I like to check myself now and again with what I'm doing, eating, drinking.

Years ago, I had a drink after a hard day and it was very relaxing... next week I did the same, few days after that had a drink, then it was after every day. Quick realised it had become a subconscious habit. I kicked that for a bit... didn't fancy teetotalling that though :lol:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You can buy chicken breast fillet for as little a £3.79 a kilo, some Cajon spices and a frying pan and you're quids in :)
That's just as bad in my opinion as my main reason for not eating fast food chicken or cheap chicken is the appalling conditions they're raised in. There's quite a few things I'll not eat for ethical reasons rather than not liking them.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's just as bad in my opinion as my main reason for not eating fast food chicken or cheap chicken is the appalling conditions they're raised in. There's quite a few things I'll not eat for ethical reasons rather than not liking them.

I don't disagree with you; but we were comparing costs of 'cheap' fast food with the cost of cooking at home.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Kippered herring can't get past the smell.
Oysters looks like something I blew out of my nose.
Liver used to work in a grocery store. I was the guy that had to clean up the mess when they sliced and packaged it.
I don't like chicken for the reason above.
Nasty stuff to properly clean out a meat saw.
Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE