What do you carry your water in?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
After accidentally burning a hole through my platypus bottle today i have decided to get something a bit more robust to carry water in! What do you guys use?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got a Source and a couple of Platys that I use for day hiking and a msr Dromedary for canoe trips. The msr bags are tough and I think they do a few sizes.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
For walking I use 1 litre source bottles and for a base camp I use a 4 litre source pack.Never had a problem with either.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I only ever use the bottles that I buy water in from the supermarket. They're effectively free, you can crush them flat and they still won't leak when you fill them, they're disposable, they're light (about 40 grammes for a two litre bottle), they'll take high pressures so you can sit on them, they have screw caps so they're reclosable, you can fill one with warm (not hot!) water so you have a hot water bottle, you can get a spare cap and pierce a hole in it to make a fire extinguisher (or, if you're a Jeep owner, a brake disc cooler:)), you can make a funnel and a cup with one just by cutting it in two and you can use one to start a fire.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
nato waterbottles, had the same 2 for over 10 years, without doubt the best. US/Dutch canteens, and a collapsible 2quart US canteen. all have been knocked about and used almost constantly. won't change them in my kit for anything else.
did used to have an Arktis 'hump', a clone of the camelbak, tho designed to be thrown away not cleaned too much. it was utter rubbishness, made the water taste of rubber, and split soaking all my kit and making me decidely a canteen person!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Can't be beaten for me...

getimg.cfm

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a selection of 1liter water bottles from MOD to special edition Sigg bottles but for bulk water I have two plastic 6liter containers which originally held...purified water! I think it was intended for lab work somewhere....

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a Sigg water bottle but generally prefer to just use placky water bottles from Tesco.
I wouldn't buy another Sigg water bottle.

on a day hike i use one or two half a litter gatorade bottles ( i like em 'cos of the wide mouth ) if i need to cary more some big a though soda bottle (coca cola makes some nice 3 litter bottles here) when running i carry some local branded platypus

Esteban

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE