Well Known Suppliers Demise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I was talking to Andrew the other day about his sad demise. I hope he doesn't mind me saying this. but he has had such bad press recently that I feel someone should stand his corner.

This all started when, through no fault of his own, apart from living in the country, his internet connection went down for quite a while. When he did eventually get it back up and running he had in the region of 1500 emails and PM's to answer. Can you imagine answering 1500 messages.

The next thing to go wrong, because he hadn't received the orders and therefore not sent out the goods was that Paypal had received complaints about his service and then duly froze his account. So he received no money into his business for 6 weeks. Again, imagine you not getting your wage for 6 weeks. Andrew made minimum profits and was working on a knife edge financially. Nobody complained that his prices were too low, or that his postage charge of £1 was ridiculously underpriced. It cost me £7.75 to send out the underblankets and I was collecting and packing them for nothing.

Due to the aforesaid problems he was struggling, but Andrew is an honest and reliable man. He was/is still going to get your goods to you or give you a refund. His website hosting facility had not been paid either, thats why his website is down. But do you know what put the tin lid on it? All the threats of physical violence to himself and family. Who knows how many very sharp knives and axes there are out there. You would think he had beaten up your grandmother and robbed her of her life savings.

Actually working on the profit margins he was working on and the postage charges,I am surprised he has kept going as long as he has. I certainly would not work for such little profit. WOULD YOU?

I thought Bushcrafters were the salt of the earth, friendly, trusting and honest. Just to prove that point I went to one meet in the Summer and the organiser left his house open for people to go into his house and help themselves to water and a brew any time of the day or night. I was proud to go to that meet, Andrew was there also. It really saddens me that we have probably lost one of the best suppliers we ever had.

FOR GODS SAKE LADS CUT HIM A BIT OF SLACK AND BE PATIENT. I am sure it will all turn out right in the end.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
In Andrews defense,
I've waited a while for things to come from Andrew at the height of his troubles, but charging only £1 for postage, I expect to have to wait.
Also, knowing how finely balanced things can be living in a remote area with questionable internet access, coupled with the way modern companies demand payment within a time limit or cutt you off. It can't have been an easy ride for him, notwithstanding the internet business side of things.
It is sad that Andrew has been treated the way he has, I had no idea that threats were made against him personally.
Like you said, Wandrinstar, we've probably lost the best supplier we're ever likely to see - its a pity more folk didn't allow just a little more time before issueing slurs against him so openly.

All the best Andrew, you gave it your best shot and you were let down by the people who could have made it so easy.

Ogri the trog

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Well said. It is perhaps a pity that Andrew was not given the opportunity to set the record straight at an earlier stage. If he had that things might not have reached the 'head of steam' they seem to have. Personally I have never dealt with Andrew but all the goodwill that was generated for his company must have been based on the fact that he was offering a good deal, a rare commodity these days. Having run my own business I know how seemingly cruel people can be. However, business is business but there can never be an excuse for threats, whatever the circumstances. I wish Andrew, and all his outstanding customers, good luck and a successful outcome for all concerned.:)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Thanks for that Ian. I have read a number of posts that you have made in the defence of Andrew over the few months that I've been visiting this site and suspect you won't get the thanks you clearly deserve for trying to clear the air a bit on Andrew's behalf.

I only ever ordered from him once but was impresed by the speed of the service, more so when I found out it was just one guy. We often forget that there are people behind these "faceless" websites, and quite frankly some folks are too quick to judge regardless of their stated philosophies.

I hope that he can resolve the issues that he faces and wish him good fortune for the future. Would I feel the same if it were me who was the one waiting for weeks for goods I'd ordered, I'd be annoyed sure, it's never fun to be let down but threats of violence? Come on, that's just idiotic.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
nice to see a thread in Andrews defence, rather than a vitriolic rant because someone hasn't received their goretex socks. I hope that the thread isn't hijacked and turned into another public lynching
Ian - i echo your sentiments exactly, and hope that somehow, outdoorcode will manage to get up and running again

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I was very sad to see the problems Andrew suffered, I too defended him in many of the lynch mob threads, but problems in a small business often grow like a snowball rolling down hill.

Adding to the problems you have mentioned he was also involved in a high speed crash on the motorway, when a tyre blew out, which wrote off his van too.

I never doubted his honour for a moment. He is one of the good guys in my opinion.

I used Andrew's services a lot and consider him a good friend as well as a supplier. I hope he finds his way back to this community where despite appearances he still has many friends.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'm not commenting either way on this situation, but if I were in his shoes and some ignorant, pathetic, materialistic moron threatened my family... Well, I'd pass all their details to the police and spend every last penny to ensure they were prosecuted.

Aside from Andrews business, this is awful and if anyone reads this who threatened Andrew. You are scum and should hang your head. I just hope it isn't a member here.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I have a small buisness and when things go wrong they can go very wrong very quickly
I wish Andrew all the best and hope that I see him back in buisness when I will use his services again as I always experienced great service. Dave

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I were in his shoes and some ignorant, pathetic, materialistic moron threatened my family... Well, I'd pass all their details to the police and spend every last penny to ensure they were prosecuted.

Aside from Andrews business, this is awful and if anyone reads this who threatened Andrew. You are scum and should hang your head. I just hope it isn't a member here.

Well put. There is NO excuse for threats of violence or actual violence. Go to the police if you haven't already.

I never doubted his honour for a moment. He is one of the good guys in my opinion.
I hope he finds his way back to this community where despite appearances he still has many friends.

You can camp with me anytime.

I thought Bushcrafters were the salt of the earth, friendly, trusting and honest. Just to prove that point I went to one meet in the Summer and the organiser left his house open for people to go into his house and help themselves to water and a brew any time of the day or night. I was proud to go to that meet, Andrew was there also.

That meet was the reason i joined as a full member.

Greg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
There is absolutely no excuse to threaten Andrew and his family, that is a most despicable act. I don't know Andrew and haven't used his services but I too had tried to run a small business and it's the hardest thing to do so I understand how he must be feeling. There are too many people ready to kick someone when they are at a vulnerable time and I hope that he felt able to involve the police because whoever did this deserve to be in court over it. All the best to him and his family.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I have used Andrews services a number of times in the past and have always had nowt but praise for him and would not hesitate to use his service again if he got back to his feet again. We are all only human.

Best of luck mate!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I still have an order outstanding from August but what the hell? I'm happy to wait until Andrew gets himself sorted out. Even if he doesn't, as far as I'm concerned he can keep the cash. I have ranted in the past and I suppose, if I'm honest, I am a little disappointed but when a guy who tried to run a business all on his own, offering great products at good prices and ludicrously low handling charges receives threats then the matter has got out of control. I'm sorry for my previous rail against the company and wish him well in whatever venture he embarks on next.

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
Just found out about Andrew through this thread. S orry to hear about it. I only bought from him once, a Gransfors SFA, but have to say that I don't have paypal and phoned him up. He was a gentleman and couldnt have been more helpful.

I wish him all the best in his future endeavors and if all goes well I will certainly buy from him again.

I'm not commenting either way on this situation, but if I were in his shoes and some ignorant, pathetic, materialistic moron threatened my family... Well, I'd pass all their details to the police and spend every last penny to ensure they were prosecuted.

Well said,
On a personal note NO ONE generates the amount of good feeling and respect that Andrew still has from so many people, without being worthy of it.
I find it sad some folk are only to happy to kick a man when he's down, and down right shameful that anyone would threaten his family over something as trivial as a money regardless of how much.
Sadly some folk judge to their own standards.

Rant Over

Andrew if ever you find yourself in my neck of the woods you'd be more than welcome to camp with me and I suspect many others here.
Cheers Tim

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
have the 1500 people been contacted and had a full refund?£1pand p 1500 times is a lot ocash plus the money for the items where is this money?

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
to hear about the way some people have treated Andrew. I've never ordered from him and without the support and good feeling that he has generated on this forum I never would.

However the fact that you guys have spoken up for him and defended him to the hilt, I will be happy to order from him if he ever gets back on his feet.

:You_Rock_

Secondly threatening anybody for non recieved goods is pitiful behaviour, its only money at the end of the day.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
have the 1500 people been contacted and had a full refund?£1pand p 1500 times is a lot ocash plus the money for the items where is this money?

Of course that's 1500 messages, not specifically folk with issues and could even be general emails including spam and what-not. I get that many after 2 weeks holiday and have the good fortune not to have to carefully go through every one of them as Andrew has had to.

BBRaptor

May 25, 2007
Cardiff
I think it would be fair to say many people have conflicting views as to how great Andrew is at the moment. Out of respect for the people who have lost substantial amounts of money and have had no response at all from him I will leave it there. However I do not condone the threats of violence.

xylaria

May I just add a big thank you to Andrew for showing my son how to skin and gut a rabbit.

I still have the four skins, I have tanned two of them and the other two have just been dried.

When someone freely passes on knowledge that you need, you are always indebted to them. You have set both me and my son on the path to finding out a lot more about the furry side of wild food, and I will always be indebted to you for that.

I really hope to see you (and the doggies) again at delemere:You_Rock_ .

Leakydiff

Dec 19, 2005
Oxford
I have also had very good dealings wit Andrew in the past and am sad about the loss of one of the best suppliers around. I must say I am bemused(or sad) about some of the comments and tone of communication. I would also like to point out to those cretins that they should also remember that when a business goes bang,there is no income for the person(s) concerned. Iff there is a family to feed,I say forget about moneys owing,rather feed you kids. The loss of a few £s to the people that chose a supplier just because they wanted the best deal is not the end of the world-GROW UP !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE