Well, I(maybe) killed a tree and got a bonus! Tinder Fungas!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Well, the tree in my front yard died.
I am not sure if it was my fault or not, but it died...
I think it may have been bugs though, because when I hit the tree, the bark fell off and it looked like someone had drilled little holes all in it.
Maybe termites(I hope not) or carpenter ants.
Anyway... A few days ago, I was out in my yard and noticed a bunch of Frisbee shapes sticking out of the side of my tree.
My heart skipped a beat... Could it be... Maybe... Could I be that lucky?
Tinder fungus!!!
At least I THINK it is... I will have to do some testing, but if it IS, I have a LARGE supple!!!
MUCH better than paying $10.00/oz !!!

I finally got around to taking some pictures
Sorry about the quality, they were taken with an OLD CHEAP camera...
Fungus1Small.JPG

Fungus2Small.JPG

Fungus3Small.JPG

Fungus4Small.JPG

Fungus5Small.JPG

Does anyone know if this is American Tinder Fungus???

I did not know whether to post this here or on the plant section, but this seemed more in the spirit of TINDER fungus.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Maybe the fungus infected the tree, made the wood soft then, the turmites came. Fungi often infect dead and dying trees to see them off. Nature has this way of making sure things don't really die they just change organism that is in control.

But if you still feel guilty I say do ten loops of cordage, and carve three spoons. Now go in peace the tree forgives you for your sins.

Is your tree growing in a celler/nuclear bunker because your photos arent very well lit

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Maybe the fungus infected the tree, made the wood soft then, the turmites came. Fungi often infect dead and dying trees to see them off. Nature has this way of making sure things don't really die they just change organism that is in control.

But if you still feel guilty I say do ten loops of cordage, and carve three spoons. Now go in peace the tree forgives you for your sins.

Is your tree growing in a celler/nuclear bunker because your photos arent very well lit

They were taken at night with a cheap 2Mpix digicam with no flash...
I had a LED headlamp on and had someone else shine theirs on it too.
The first one I am proud of, given the circumstances... I like the different colors that the two different shades of LEDs gave the picture.
That one did not need any(or very little) post processing.
The other ones were so dark that I had to do some fancy photoshop and GIMP post procession to look as "good" as they do.
I think the batteries in the camera were giving out.

Any idea about whether it is American Tender Fungus? I know it is not either of the British types, but we DO have a couple of our own over here and I thought someone might know... I am of course posting on the American forums also.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
That top shot is nice James but it looks strangely like a Jim Henson puppet popping out of the tree.

Someone please photoshop 2 googly eyes on the top :)

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
That top shot is nice James but it looks strangely like a Jim Henson puppet popping out of the tree.

Someone please photoshop 2 googly eyes on the top :)

It is strange that you said that, as a friend commented that it looked like the tree had grown a mouth, and I replied that I always thought it looked like Kermit the Frog.

xylaria

I have spent over hour trying to ID it, and I can't. I have seen what I am absolutely sure was this fungi been used in a firemaking tutorial, because I said to myself 'thats not tinder fungus its too pale' then I realised the picture were from canada. It is not chaga as that has a nearly black outer and orange inner. If you play with it, fluff it up use your fire steel on it, burn it, bow drill it, etc you find out everything about the fire craft properties of this local resource. Sorry I can't ID it, I know zilch of about american fungi. :slap:

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
I have spent over hour trying to ID it, and I can't. I have seen what I am absolutely sure was this fungi been used in a firemaking tutorial, because I said to myself 'thats not tinder fungus its too pale' then I realised the picture were from canada. It is not chaga as that has a nearly black outer and orange inner. If you play with it, fluff it up use your fire steel on it, burn it, bow drill it, etc you find out everything about the fire craft properties of this local resource. I can't ID it, I know zilch of about american fungi. :slap:

These are from Texas.
Thanks for all the searching though...
I hope they are still there... It has rained inches EVERY DAY for the last WEEK!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE