Weekend at Loch Morlich - Pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful :D puts me in the notion, and thankfully I'm going camping this weekend :cool:

I've just showed HWMBLT the photos and he said that's where he used to camp at Christmas every year before we got married.........I think you've put him in the notion too :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing.

p.s. If any of you are up here over the New Year, have a look at Scotland North in the Meet ups forum. We're meeting at the Comriecroft site that Windward mentioned.

cheers,
Toddy

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Hog...we were only about 200yds from the car!!! You honestly think I'm going to lug all that kit any further??? lol...The car was stuffed full with every piece of kit imaginable to make for a warm comfortable weekend.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Scenery is magic up there, was at that very spot a couple of weeks ago.
There was'nt any snow untill the Sunday when we were leaving but the place was covered in frost.
Nice pics.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I have camped in literally thesame spot before, also camped a bit further up into the woods, i only live about an hour away so go there regularly, one of my favourite spots, anyone been on the walk up the back of Glenmore Lodge? By the emerald lake? Its also a lovely spot, that tipi set up looks great!

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is stunning around that area,as I mentioned earlier, I spent a brilliant weekend at the Armed Forces outdoor activities centre at Rothiemurchus Lodge, several years ago now. We caught the first proper snow of the year, about a foot and a half!
The centre itself is fantastic and while it's for armed forces members and civil servants only, as long as the person booking up is a member or ex member, anyone can form part of the their group.
the accommodation is pretty good, as are the other facilities
It's located above the Loch about 2 miles up the hill to the south. You get there ( by car) by crossing the old bailey bridge at the very bottom end of the loch. There are large steel gates. barring vehicle access without the correct keypad code but walkers/cyclists can get through.

You can even take your kids there if you want to use the centre as a base for touring etc.
Anyway,here's the link for anyone interested;

http://www.rothiemurchus.co.uk/index.htm

cheers
R.B.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I know Loch Morlich fairly well (well ive been there a couple of times) because I stay in a little place called Tulloch a couple of times a year.

Where abouts on the loch were you? were you near the campsite (north side), or somewhere less populated (any chance of a grid ref)?? were you seen by the rangers and did they not bother you??

The reason I ask is because im going again in March and would love to do what you have done, also in a lavuu, but I dont want to get thrown off the loch.

Also where did you park your car for the duration.

Beutifull pics.

Stu.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Where abouts on the loch were you? were you near the campsite (north side), or somewhere less populated (any chance of a grid ref)?? were you seen by the rangers and did they not bother you??

IF you are there for 48hrs and don't leave litter then they can't throw you off as they would be breaching the SOAC.

You can park at the roadside, not a barriered FC carpark, just where the loch goes closest to the rd.

Nick

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
IF you are there for 48hrs and don't leave litter then they can't throw you off as they would be breaching the SOAC.

You can park at the roadside, not a barriered FC carpark, just where the loch goes closest to the rd.

Nick

Not sure it applies because I think Loch Morlich is actualy a nature reserve. I could be wrong though.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
One place was Comrie Croft, an Eco Camping / bunkhouse centre not far from Crieff. Looks a great place with good mountain biking routes / walks.

I camped at Comrie croft last year for a few nights with my wife. they encourage camping in hammocks and tipis, each pitch has a fire pit and the whole area is gorgeous (i am biased right enough because thats where my dad is from). Theres loads of deer, mushrooms, pignuts, good bird life, fishing etc etc.

It would be a good site if you wanted to introduce a young family to bushy stuff, or possibly a good spot for a BCUK meet. The owner knew about the forum and said he'd be up for it...

M

Mike Denner

loch morlich is a truly beautiful place, I used to work at the campsite there and its partly why i decided to stay up here (originally we only went there on holiday) No one ever got bothered if they were camping on the beech but they have a strict no fire rule (possibly OK if its off ground) During the summer season lots of trees some of them granny scots pines would be damaged by people breaking off limbs for their fire.
Great photos, makes me want a tipi.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE