Waxing desert boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have, I used Kiwi Mid Tan shoe polish. I was working on the principle they did the same thing with "rough-out" boots. They now are waterproof enough for general everyday use. They are also easier to keep clean, when you spend your days doing firelighting & game prep demonstrations.
I have the Miendl Desert Fox boots.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Yes, my current boots are goretex and suede, started to leak on long wet walks, drenched them in G-wax, turns them a horrible colour (dark and greasy) but they are dry and comfortable

I now clean and wax them once every few weeks!

afaik - meindl recommend G wax for their Burma boot which is Gortex and nubuck

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Tried G wax,rubbed it all over using my fingers,then finished off with a hair dryer.
Doesn't look too bad,darkened them which is what I wanted,and not greasy to the touch.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I looked up the boots mentioned, it confirmed my assumption that they're squede. Why would you wax squede boots? Just take a wire brush to them when they need cleaning. If they leak, then either get a different boot, OR just get goertex socks.

Even proper jungle boots leak (they have a drain hole built into the design)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
why not - it doesn't matter what they look like - its the waterproof quality we are interested in!

I guess Santaman is just asking why someone would use a desert boot in a place that is wet. I have a pair that I wear here in summer when is as dry as hell and the temperatures are in the mid 40s. In the winter I wear other boots that were designed for the wet.

If you want to waterproof desert boots that's fine too.

:)

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
I guess Santaman is just asking why someone would use a desert boot in a place that is wet. I have a pair that I wear here in summer when is as dry as hell and the temperatures are in the mid 40s. In the winter I wear other boots that were designed for the wet.

If you want to waterproof desert boots that's fine too.

:)

I would agree with this, at this time of year my feet are cold in desert boots, in summer they are never off my feet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE