Waterproof smock for the wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 8, 2014
Essex
Hi, i'm looking at getting a good full waterproof/windproof smock for an expedition i'm hoping to organise but I cant seem to find a definite buy, i've looked at so many different items and reviews, wondered if anyone had any good recommendations??

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Hi, i'm looking at getting a good full waterproof/windproof smock for an expedition i'm hoping to organise but I cant seem to find a definite buy, i've looked at so many different items and reviews, wondered if anyone had any good recommendations??

I have just taken ownership of a Bergan's Morgedal smock, and from what I have read here and there they are very good. I tested it out this evening in a downpour, my rucksack was soaked through, but nothing came through the smock. I like the length of it too, keeps the lower bits dry, and the pockets are well roomy. I can't say how the waterproofing will last after a lot of use, but I reckon it can't be any worse than goretex and it's equivalents.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I am also looking at buying a smock. I like the look of the Ridgeline Monsoon Smocks.
Just picked one of these up for myself from William Powell in Banbury, it might be worth you having a look as you're local and they currently have a sale on.

http://www.williampowell.com/Sale/M...-Jackets--Breeks/Monsoon-II-Jacket_MJC332.htm

Not tested it out yet in the rain but it's very comfy and appears to be very well made. I've heard that they don't have quite the breathable properties of the Swazi Tahr but at a quarter of the price for what appears to be a very similar garment also made in New Zealand I'm happy.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just picked one of these up for myself from William Powell in Banbury, it might be worth you having a look as you're local and they currently have a sale on.

http://www.williampowell.com/Sale/M...-Jackets--Breeks/Monsoon-II-Jacket_MJC332.htm

Not tested it out yet in the rain but it's very comfy and appears to be very well made. I've heard that they don't have quite the breathable properties of the Swazi Tahr but at a quarter of the price for what appears to be a very similar garment also made in New Zealand I'm happy.

I like the look of that bergan smock, but i have the ridgeline monsoon, which a fantastic storm coat, but they are warm to wear, i also now have the full zip version, but prefer the smock type.

Scott country are members on here & i think the importers of ridgeline, & were offering a discount to members.

Rob

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
+1 for the Bergans Morgedal smock, Sheds water nicely, nice and quiet when moving, highly breathable and a nice roomy cut for layering. I was looking at getting the ventile smock by westwinds/snugpak but the price had jumped by fifty pounds from the last time I looked.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE