waterproof jacket recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I'm in the market for a new waterproof jacket and I'm looking for a few suggestions as I'm not sure where to start.

I will be using it for hill walking/hiking, rock climbing (so needs to be helmet compatible) and scrambling. This will be mainly for bad weather use in the autumn/winter or whenever else it is raining hard as I already own a light weight jacket for use in the summer. I would like it to be breathable with well placed pockets (not in the way of harness or rucksack straps) and durable.

My budget is around the £150 mark, but may be persuaded to £200 if it's really worth the extra money. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Oops, should have put this in the clothing section, please could a mod move it. Thank you :)

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
As far as I know over here the Mountain Rescue teams favour Mountain Equipment 3layer Gore-tex Pro shell.Probably just out of your price range.
I have an Arc'teryx Alpha SV jacket which is superb and found on the Bay for £220!
I also have a Berghaus Attrition in Pro Shell which I got at an outlet store near Chester for £85.It is in fluorescent yellow but at that price it was a serious bargain.
It feels like being indoors when it rains hard....I love it.Likely retails for £350 ish but check Ebay for the cheap ones.Should say "EXTREM" on the sleeve.I'm planning on using it for skiing
and snowshoeing this winter.
Cheers , Simon
Edit ; I've just checked and there are three Attritions all under £200.Check them out.I can totally endorse this jacket for what you are looking to do with it.Depends if you can live with the colour.
It does make it easier for the chopper pilot to find you if you get stuck on the mountain!

Last edited:

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Thanks for the replies so far guys, the keela munro sounds like it has a load of features, but It's a bit on the heavy side for me. I don't really want to be carrying an extra kilogram on my back when It's not in use. I probably should have mentioned weight before I guess, but I'd like something that's around the 500-600 or less mark.

As for the attrition, I'm not so keen on the colour and I'd rather spend £150 ish unless I'm getting something much better for 200.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Edit ; I've just checked and there are three Attritions all under £200.Check them out.I can totally endorse this jacket for what you are looking to do with it.Depends if you can live with the colour.
It does make it easier for the chopper pilot to find you if you get stuck on the mountain!

OK thanks, I'll take a look. There seems to be a few in black around also.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
the Munro jacket is ok for winter but it is heavy, doesn't breath too well and turns into a sauna.

Alot of MRTs got then via very goodand kind deal form Keela but alot of folk don't wear them due to the above.

Have look at Montane - I've a Atomic DT that I wear through out the year for walking and climbing as a wind / waterproof hard shell. No insulation but it weighs very little andI use it over my insulation layers.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
the Munro jacket is ok for winter but it is heavy, doesn't breath too well and turns into a sauna.

Alot of MRTs got then via very goodand kind deal form Keela but alot of folk don't wear them due to the above.

Have look at Montane - I've a Atomic DT that I wear through out the year for walking and climbing as a wind / waterproof hard shell. No insulation but it weighs very little andI use it over my insulation layers.

Yes, I've been looking at Montane - a few of them look pretty good. Is the Atomic DT the replacement for the Halo? I was recommended the Halo on another forum but it no longer seems to be within the range on the Montane site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE