Waterproof jacket recommendations? Budget/decent if possible

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
With all this awful weather, I'm thinking it's about time I buy an actual waterproof jacket instead of relying on the pack-a-mac non waterproof waterproof that I've had for years..
I know there are plenty options around - Go outdoors for example has many, but I can be a clumsy oaf and tore my down jacket on it's first trip!! so just wondering if there are any recommendations.. I might check out surplus stuff shortly, but ideally not after camo.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
There is a fair bit of Austrian goretex and fleeces floating around now. Not bad prices and plain OD as they relatively recently switched to camo.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I went to a ship's chandler on the coast and looked over the selection of "off-shore boat-coats." Was not cheap even some 25 years ago. 5X large so I can dress warmly underneath. Wrist seals that really did prove their worth on several occasions. I've still got it. The wrist seals are unreliable after all this time but the coat itself doesn't leak a drop.

Don't pass up a look at the coats worn by the commercial fishing mob.

Reactions: Great egret

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I went to a ship's chandler on the coast and looked over the selection of "off-shore boat-coats." Was not cheap even some 25 years ago. 5X large so I can dress warmly underneath. Wrist seals that really did prove their worth on several occasions. I've still got it. The wrist seals are unreliable after all this time but the coat itself doesn't leak a drop.

Don't pass up a look at the coats worn by the commercial fishing mob.

Can't disagree with the last sentence. The RNLI yellows were the best waterproofs I've ever worn - bar the drysuit...

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Have you tried eBay? I picked up an old battered goretex jacket from there last year, sent it to alpkit who re taped the seams and gave it a good wash with soap flakes and Nik wax and now I have a £500 jacket that only cost me £55.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
There is a fair bit of Austrian goretex and fleeces floating around now. Not bad prices and plain OD as they relatively recently switched to camo.
I bought a used (distressed?) Austrian Army Alpine Goretex jacket in olive green. It is excellent. The hood is particularly good.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm going to bring out another broken record of mine - apologies :)

It all depends on what you do 'outdoors'. I rarely wear my 'backpacking/camping in the hills' jacket these days because most of my time is making my way through woodland, scrub, thorn, gorse, holly .... my lightweight membrane jacket wouldn't stand a chance.

For general country wear, rough camping, sitting around a camp fire, weekend walking in the hills, I favour the gear designed and supplied for field sports; there's a huge range from very good value to outrageously expensive, so plenty to choose from.

Have a browse through here, and while you're there look at some of the trousers - I'm using hunting trousers with a bramble proof and water resistant front layer; ideal for thorny woodland :):

Reactions: nigelp

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The German army Flecktarn Goretex suits are good, robust, relatively light, usually sold in good conditions and are relatively cheap. Flecktarn though, what's the German forest camouflage pattern.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE