Water while out and about

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I recently invested on a Lifestraw as well. Purifies the water straight from source. Below is the link:
http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw.htm

Best regards,

The device also causes higher-than-normal iodine levels in the drinkers' water, although this is countered by the iodine deficiency problem that exists in the third world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeStraw
just found the above while checking it out. I see they're $5 above and £19.28 here on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140359659992&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
just thought I'd share and stick in a picture - couple of spuds and carrots BOIL IT !
deadsheep.jpg

cheers all Danny

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi Danny...thanks for your reply :)
The Lifestraw is the cheapest I can afford really, besides boiling of course :)
Thanks for your pic...doubt if I will ever drink from that water source (upstream possible maybe?).
But was looking at the horns. Hmm...would make a nice knife handle?

Cheers!

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi bandel4 what do you pay for yours there seems a big jump from £3.35 on Lifestraw site to £20 each on uk e-bay. I'd certainly use one on the move if the price was right My wife has to be careful with Iodine though as she suffers with hypothyroidism and takes thyroxine tablets. At base camp though it's boil it.
cheers Danny

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi bandel4 what do you pay for yours there seems a big jump from £3.35 on Lifestraw site to £20 each on uk e-bay. I'd certainly use one on the move if the price was right My wife has to be careful with Iodine though as she suffers with hypothyroidism and takes thyroxine tablets. At base camp though it's boil it.
cheers Danny

Hi Danny...
Outdoor gears are unfortunatelly very costly in Malaysia. The tax imposed on bringing such items in are ridiculous compared (relatively) to the general income of the population. I sometimes order items thru ebay, get them posted to Malaysia and they turn out to be still much cheaper than buying it locally.
I got to find out more about hypothyroidism now :) Not aware of it.
Agree to simply boil the water at camp.
Thanks Danny!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
my next buy is the Travel Tap. its a 1l bottle with a built in filter. i'll use that to either drink straight from the bottle or when stopped fill up my 3l camelbak :D
last time we were out i used chlorine tabs and i was SICK SICK SICK.
really really acidic stomach after using them, made me really horrid, no other side effects but when we got near civilisation again i was downing the gaviscon like no-ones business.

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
A bit of personal experience - I drank one sip of water from a stream which had a spring indicated on the map about 20m away. It tasted fine but it smelt a bit weird (I noticed after drinking)
A few days later I felt terrible, and after a week I was in hospital for two days.

On the same day I found another stream and me and 2 others drank a considerable amount from it, it was as clear as bottled water and the other two were completely fine, so it must have been the first stream.

You just never know...

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Personally - Millbank, then boil. Add charcoal to Millbank if there're dead deer in the stream. I've read somewhere that you can fill a 2l pop bottle and stand it in sunlight for a while - UV passes through plastic to put the zap on any critters in the water...

N

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Has anyone ever tried a Brita filter whilst out. Its something I been wondering for a while, have been thinking about making holder for one out of a pipe. Any comments cos it could be a cheap way to go? :dunno:

Alan

jenks

Aug 29, 2004
county durham
I did tropical aircrew survival training in Queensland nearly 10 years ago and we had to dig for water in dry creeks. The concavce aspect of a bend is best (as per the manual) and the water bubbled to the surface after a couple of minutes clawing at the stony bed with our gloved hands. We scooped out the first of the water due to the silt, but the rest was fairly clear. The survival kit contained a quart (2 pints) heavy duty clear bag, it may have been silicone, and iodine drops. Iodine is not intended for long term use( or if pregnant, or thyroid problems) and if the situation allowed we boiled the water. I have not tried this in UK though. Transpiration bags also produce a little water for little effort. Th solar stills produced nothing for loads of effort and we lost body fluid digging it. The can of Sprite at endex tasted sweet though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE