Water supply when travelling - where from?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
With water being heavy to carry and impossible to make ''lighter'' in pack other than not carrying it, and also essential to maintain life so it must be carried or sourced from somewhere on route, i was wondering where people sourced their water from while travelling through country (in UK). It is one of the few items that cannot be made lighter if trying to lighten pack weight. If there are no local supplies in the way of tap water from garages/shops/houses/camp sites/etc: etc: where do you source from. Personally, against the advice of many people i have taken water from many rivers, Wye/Severn/Vyrnwy/Irfon/many tributaries like Teme/Ithon/Lugg/Clun/Onny Etc:/many streams and lakes in the Welsh mountains, i just filter through one of those cloth jam-making bags and boil it, i have never added purifiers, i know it's not recommended but i have never suffered an illness through it though am aware of the risks, sometimes i have taken water from those livestock water troughs (when not locked by farmer) that are supplied directly with running water by way of those blue plastic water pipes, i have presumed (though in honestly do not know) that those blue water pipes carrying water to trough supply clean tap water. By choice i have used springs but they are not always available. Only once have i suffered any consequences in many years which was from a stream in Cannock Chase (upstream of Seven Springs) when for a few days my teeth felt peculiarly metal-like and all on edge, i put it down (ignorantly) to the high concentration of conifers affecting the water. I know my sourcing of water is not generally advised, what do you do when you cannot source it from habitation/taps etc:.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
To be honest Joonsy I do the same as you but I do use chlorine tabs or a filter and then it's boiled for a brew.It may seem like overkill but it does make it safer ,although this doesn't remove chemicals such as found in fertilizers or sheep dip.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I only ever carry a maximum of 1 litre unless I`m base camping then I`ll take a 15L container. One of my criteria for choosing a route is that there must be available fresh water on the way or near my campsite. I`ll usually only use a milbank bag and then boil it, no chemicals or filters for me.
The only time I`ve used a filter is when collecting water from a cattle trough.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Animal water trough's. Hold down the ball float to open the valve and let it run for a while to clear any stagnant water out of the pipes.

If near canal. I have a British Waterways key for toilets and taps. Cost £5 and can be used nationwide.

Like Shewie, I try to plan routes where water can be sourced easily.

Sadly my bushy playground has no potable water because of old lead mines in the area. Whenever I get a pass to play out, I have to take all my water with me. Can be a pain, but I'm getting used to it.

Simon

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I always carry some in with me but not a huge amount, normally a 2 ltr bladder unless I'm near the car and know I will be there for a while in which case I carry in a couple of gallons in collapsible containers. Sourcing water from nature is a must when you have to carry everything in, especially when it's remote locations. I use a PreMac water filter which I think is a great bit o kit, small, light and portable, and a lot quicker than a Millbank bag. I very rarely drink water preferring coffee instead, so it all tends to get boiled anyway. Bringing water to a rolling boil for 5 mins is normally sufficient for purification after running it through some sort of material to remove particle matter.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Sniper - bringing water to the boil is enough to make it potable. At least at sea level or there abouts.

Any longer is not needed and a waste of valuable fuel. I have a link on my home PC with all the facts and figures if you like, which I could post later?

Simon

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thanks for your informative replies folks, seems plenty of people use my approach too in just boiling available water, it's interesting no-one has replied stating any ill effects suffered.

SimonM - i've got one of those keys too, very useful when near canals.
rik_uk3 - that's a good informative link, thanks for posting that.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Rainwater is a fairly reliable source, a billy set too under a corner of the tarp fills pretty quick. I would expect that its safe to drink straight off(though I wouldnt know for certain)

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
That's all I did at the last midlands meet - frankly though, I could probably have collected enough to supply half of the people there!

The only problem was that being in the woods you also end up with alsorts of bits in it, so a filter of some sort would be a good idea. I too preffer a warm drink so even though it was rain water it got boiled.

What would you do with muddy water, i.e. streams that are usually clear turn muddy after heavy rain?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
What would you do with muddy water, i.e. streams that are usually clear turn muddy after heavy rain?

Personally i filter it through something, i carry one of those jam-making filter bags for the purpose as it is so light (and also handy for holding tinder or other goodies that's been collected along the way as it ''airs'' well in it if tied to pack, if dry weather of course), you could also use article of clothing for same job like scarf/buff etc:. Rivers in flood look terribly muddy but if you collect a little in a transparent container i find it is actually never as muddy as it looks in the river, it is far from clear of course but seems to look worse in river than when out, and the filtering sorts that out.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
..... I use a PreMac water filter which I think is a great bit o kit, small, light and portable, and a lot quicker than a Millbank bag. .....

Sniper's right, excellent kit, which you can get at Blacks for £14:99 (Saving £10).

Pre-Mac are fantastic about enquiries, they answered all my questions, fully, including attaching useful docs, within a few minutes!

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Personally i filter it through something, i carry one of those jam-making filter bags for the purpose as it is so light (and also handy for holding tinder or other goodies that's been collected along the way as it ''airs'' well in it if tied to pack, if dry weather of course), you could also use article of clothing for same job like scarf/buff etc:. Rivers in flood look terribly muddy but if you collect a little in a transparent container i find it is actually never as muddy as it looks in the river, it is far from clear of course but seems to look worse in river than when out, and the filtering sorts that out.

Muslin? is this what you mean? its a good light but fine weave material and would indeed reduce particles quite well.
pete

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
is there anyone on here that actually indulges in messing around on the canal?
i've done the cheshire ring before and that was an experience. lovely slow and peaceful time however.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE