Water purification - quickest way?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks for the vid Stuart, used in conjunction with a millbank bag this seems a very good system? You could just fill up the bottle from the bottom of the millbank!

Steve

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
The water 2 go bottles are really good. I've drunk some filthy water through them and it comes out looking, smelling and tasting great.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have one and have drank what would be considered awful water through them and not only does it taste great but it successfully removes all nasties from it. I've never been ill.
I also drink all my tap water from it, makes it taste so much nicer having removed the chlorine and fluoride from it :)
The 20% off code for the bottle and filters is BUSHCRAFT20, not sure how long it will be active for though.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thanks for the vid Stuart, used in conjunction with a millbank bag this seems a very good system? You could just fill up the bottle from the bottom of the millbank!

Steve

Yes, you can pre-filter to remove debris using any system you like (you don't have to pre-filter, but it will extend the life of the filter if you do)

Personally I use a cotton rag over an open quarter-gallon Ziploc... fill the Ziploc (which is now prefiltered water), then pour that into the LifeSaver directly. This means the bottle never comes into contact directly with a dirty water source ;)

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Also want to correct myself on something...

The Sawyer system filters to 0.1 microns (which covers sediment, cysts, cryptosporidium and bacteria... but won't touch viruses and contaminant chemicals)

The best of the Katadyn filters filter down to 0.05 microns (which will filter some viruses, but not norrovirus, the most common in still water sources)

The LifeSaver filters filter down to 15nm (0.015 microns) which filters everything including most chemicals (some rare short-chain molecules could still make it through, and elemental particles such as calcium [lime] will make it through but in that case even boiling would likely not separate them from the water, leaving condensing as the only viable option for such water sources).

Here's something interesting: Radioactive Iodine 131 and Cesium 137 are between 0.017 and 0.17 microns (Cesium 137 is water-soluable, though, meaning it can be substantial smaller than that dependent on the temperature and volume of the water alongside the concentration of Cesium 137 to that volume)... which means the LifeSaver bottle has the potential to remove these "hot particles" from the water, while the other filters can't!

Also want to point out that I'm not being paid for the endorsement of LifeSaver... their products aren't without their own problems (all easily resolved with some basic maintenance as demonstrated in my video). You can just use Vaseline in place of that WRAS-approved lithium grease LifeSaver provides with the bottles ;)
Really, I need to do a follow-up video... which I think I'll combine with my 100 subscriber YouTube giveaway contest (I'm giving away a LifeSaver 4000UF bottle on YouTube)

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
lifesaver or surviva pure what is the better one?

LifeSaver filters down to 0.015 microns.
Surviva Pure filters to just 2.0 microns (which isn't even enough to filter cysts let alone viruses). In fact, Surviva Pure isn't even the best filtration solution in its price bracket (I paid less for my LifeSaver bottles) and there are filters going for £20 (Aquamira Frontier Pro for example) that filter down as far as 1.0 microns!

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
The LifeSaver Bottles are a pump system. In fact, here's a video showing how they work and how to maintain them:
[video=youtube;HPlnQrapSas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPlnQrapSas[/video]

Hi Simon, you highlight in your video the two year life span once you open the bottle for the first time, it sounds like this is the case even if you don't use it?

If I was to buy one of these "second hand" un issued ones from E-bay, as you did, is there some way to tell if somebody had already unscrewed the base, say "just to take a look" and therefore starting the life cycle?

I know that men are prone to fiddling, and military personel are some of the worst for "just looking" and/or testing things to breaking point.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hi Simon, you highlight in your video the two year life span once you open the bottle for the first time, it sounds like this is the case even if you don't use it?

If I was to buy one of these "second hand" un issued ones from E-bay, as you did, is there some way to tell if somebody had already unscrewed the base, say "just to take a look" and therefore starting the life cycle?

I know that men are prone to fiddling, and military personel are some of the worst for "just looking" and/or testing things to breaking point.

According to the company, the lifespan is actually five years once opened... and they've told this applies from the first time water is put into it, not the first time you remove the base.

The only way to tell is to open the base... as the first time it'll be really stiff and you'll "feel" the factory seal release between the O-ring and the bottle.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Cheers, That sounds more like what I'd expected, and makes them a far more realistic consideration.

I'd basically rulled them out after watching your vid, now they're back on the list. goodjob

PS I can't find reference to the life time expectancy on their website though? Opened/closed/wet/ or not
The only time reference I spotted was the 2 year warranty.

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Cheers, That sounds more like what I'd expected, and makes them a far more realistic consideration.

I'd basically rulled them out after watching your vid, now they're back on the list. goodjob

PS I can't find reference to the life time expectancy on their website though? Opened/closed/wet/ or not
The only time reference I spotted was the 2 year warranty.

Their marketing manager contacted me on Google+ with the corrections. I'm not done editing a follow-up video (which also demonstrates the Jerrycan in the same way and corrects invalid information I gave in the first video... which was information given in good faith based on information I was given from an apparently not-so-reliable source)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE