Washing in the wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

emrock

Nov 17, 2011
East Anglia
Couple of questions for you all.

First off, has anyone got any tips for doing washing up in the wilderness? By which I specifically mean what do you take with you? Sponge? collapsable bowl? Also are there any detergents that are non poluting? (By which I mean anything ranging from natural sources through to eco washing up liquid like ecover that might be fine to tip away into grass without causing harm)

Second question is a bit of a girly one. But are there ant shampoos etc that are ok to use in wild water without poluting? As I posted elsewhere I am planning a canoe trip with wild camping in sweden next year and I want to know if it will be possible to wash my hair in lakes.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
baking soda and water mixed for shampoo, apple cider vinegar for conditioner (good for dry flaky scalp too)

also a nice well seasoned cast iron pan whilst heavy should only need a wipe down

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

First off, has anyone got any tips for doing washing up in the wilderness? By which I specifically mean what do you take with you? Sponge? collapsable bowl? Also are there any detergents that are non poluting? (By which I mean anything ranging from natural sources through to eco washing up liquid like ecover that might be fine to tip away into grass without causing harm)

Second question is a bit of a girly one. But are there ant shampoos etc that are ok to use in wild water without poluting? As I posted elsewhere I am planning a canoe trip with wild camping in sweden next year and I want to know if it will be possible to wash my hair in lakes.

Carry a decent sized pot rather than a separate bowl.
Don't wash in the lake or river, take the water from there and wash a decent distance away.
Do feel free to swim in the lake though. :)
I find having a face cloth can make life a bit easier, especially if I'm someplace where water is scarce.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I tend to take just a green pad, wash up in the biggest pot, tipping the water in a small pit, covered in sticks and leaves, that acts as a filter for large pices, then that is taken off and burnt on the fire, as far as washing up liquid goes, just a small drop goes a long way with the amount of water used.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Some kind of cooking oil plus ash from the fire will make a rudimentary kind of soap which you can use to wash dishes. If you take a cast iron pan you just need to rinse in a little water and oil it after each use to keep it clean.

Maybe you could consider not using shampoo for your hair? Washing hair in water from the lakes will keep it clean and you might be surprised at how well your hair manages without shampoo.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Pine Tar Soap for me too, i cut a cold bar with a hacksaw into 4 pieces as it lasts for ages! well i suppose it depends on how much you wash ;), keep it in ziplock bag with my scourer but still manages to emit that lovely smell so away from the foodstuffs when you pack your gear is a good tip.

Adam

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK

Behave youself, go for a swim and dont worry about your hair :) haha

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Wrights Coal Tar or Palmolive for me and Fairy liquid, you ain't going to kill the ecosystem or anything with the tiny amount you use and the eco washing up liquid is like gnats pee anyway. People use far too much washing up liquid, Fairy or a good concentrated really does only need a couple of drops and not the blooming great squirts some folks use.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
+1 for tar soap.

I spent two weeks Australian outback living out of a swag. I still managed to wash despite the lack of water.

The trick was to take the water from the billabong, rather than washing in it, and if you'll forgive the expression taking a "*****'s bath".

If you have a mate in the army, ask him about how they are taught to wash with only a cup of water.

In Sweden however I would build a big fire and just go swimming. :D

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Pots and eating utensils I use dry grass or leaves to scrub the gunk off and rinse with water. Then fill with water set near fire till boiling then make coffee or tea. Job done. Body wet towel thats all no soap in or near water source.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Wrights Coal Tar or Palmolive for me and Fairy liquid, you ain't going to kill the ecosystem or anything with the tiny amount you use and the eco washing up liquid is like gnats pee anyway. People use far too much washing up liquid, Fairy or a good concentrated really does only need a couple of drops and not the blooming great squirts some folks use.

But if everyone who camps used just a tiny amount of the stuff it WOULD do plenty of damage.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
I have a webtex collapsable bowl, a small travel towel (size of a hand towel) bio soap, tea tree oil and a medicated talc. For just a few days I take tea tree cleansing wipes. With this lot I find I can clean myself and fend of the joys of scrot rot, fungal foot infections etc. When first started heading out I would use just normal bio soap and water but found after a few days I would be starting to get jock itch etc. due to being in a damp environment despite how hard i tried to be dry.

Not the most pleasant post but this combo now works very well for me and I now have a more pleasant time in the woods.

Ash

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Huge shame that almost all commercial pine tar soap (including that sold by woodlore), is made with plam oil - the product most closely associated with rainforest destruction in South East Asia :(

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
i use home made soap , the ingreidents are animal fat and caustic soda. i used rendered beef suet. i wouldn't wash my hair with saop if i am somewhere that remote. you hair stil needs thorough brushing. if it feels too claggy brush through with talc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE