Walnut cross section - any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teal

Apr 23, 2016
Berkshire
I've been given a disk of walnut trunk chainsawed off the end of a large log. I've only ever made spoons and bowls with the grain running on the long axis. Clearly this will be impossible here, is there anything I can do with it that plays to it's strengths?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
How green/seasoned is it? If it's freshcut or recently cut you'll need to season it carefuly and slowly to have any chance at all of it drying without splitting. If it's seasoned you'll need to use it clad to something else for strength, sort of a backing to glue it to for support and strength. Somebodyt else will probably be along with more specific advice about Walnut in particular, I don't know if it might be suitable for a stool seat or some such.

I've never been fortunate enough to get hold of a piece of any size.

What are it's age, dimensions etc.?

Trotsky

If you've access to a router you could fashion yourself a jig for it and mill either face flat and then go from there. Large chopping board, dish one face and turn it into a serving plate perhaps?
I used the same router method to turn two tree stumps into a stool and small coffee table, it's a little time consuming but, not difficult.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Was just given a slab of pistachio in the same configuration. It was previously being used as a paper weight...I'm thinking hot pad for the dining table. I've seen them as clock faces. Could be a cutting board. Trotsky's idea of a shallow bowl is a good possibility.

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
If its fresh cut it is almost guaranteed to split if left in the round - wood shrinks the most along its rings in an end cut piece, so it will tend to split in a couple of places which will then open quite a bit as it dries out.
I think I would cut it in half so you have two half circles, so helping allow the shrinkage to happen without too much splitting - and make a nice pair of stool seats with them :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE