'Walking/camping club' advice!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BonnieWolf

Aug 22, 2006
Hampshire, uk
webface.genericlan.net
hello!
i'm currently beaming with pride..(i accidentally found a Christmas present, so dad let me have it early....a SIGNED Ray Mears survival Hand book!!!!!! *dies* he's a hero of mine to say the least! *dances*)

Anyway!

after working a dead end jobs for a little bit now, i finally come to the conclusion i do not want to work in retail...and theirs no way i'm having an office job. So i've been thinking, i'm only 21 years old, if i'm quick i can still make a lot of my life. And the happiest i've been when i was in Cadets! i've always been hiking and camping with my dad, so in cadets i told to it all naturally...i Evan earned the rank sergeant! i was the leader (done a leadership course to back it up) of a 'flight' and i taught lessons to younger cadets. and i loved it!, i loved teaching them, and was told my methods were great! and once i left (too 'old' i e kicked out) cadets wished i go back, and how much the respected me.

so it hit me! i want to be a Mountain Leader, i want to teach camping/servival and bushcraft to kids and adults! so naturally i contacted the bmc (british mountain council) and they gave me a push in the right direction. i've now had losts of things posted through from MLTE (Mountain Leader Training England)

i plan to start with the WGL (walking group leader) Award, which requires i'm

a. 18 + with experience in the appropriate terrain
b, membership of MLTE + BMC

Training involves 20 days 'quaility days' walking

Now, to do 20 'quality' days walking i need to do it with a 'walking club' my Question for ya'll is can anybody recommend a good Walking club, in Hampshire?

and generally advice for my new career plan?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Have you tried going back to cadets as a leader or helper?
The other options are scouts,guides?, boys brigade or other youth organisations. The best one would probably be a Dof E group, some councils and schools run the award, it could be worth conatacting the town hall,and you can still take your own award on the way, you can do DofE until 25.

Peter Pan

Jan 9, 2006
Acton, London
There is a great book by Patrick Leigh fermor - A time for gifts. Go and read it. Basically its about a guy similar in age to yourself who walked from the Hook of Holland to Constantinople. His jouney was mainly for fun but it transpired he was learning the history of Europe and its variety of cultures, learning new languages etc, he camped, slept wild and basicly got out there and did it. Do it my friend whilst you are still young and explore things. Forget about work for now. My regret is I did not not do enough of such travels at a similar age and am now playing catchup. Camping and bushcraft in the Carpathians is an experience you must explore. Such an experience of travel widens your opinions and matures you. Go out and explore.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just go for it!
I spent one year as a computer programmer before realizing the outdoors was for me. I started by going on all the courses I could aford - ML mainly - and got involved with an outdoor charity as a volonteer. These guys gave me free, safe experience and eventually I got paid work in outdoor centres. This lead to more experience/more quallies/more work and my career developped. Any free time was spent trekking in the UK and Europe.
I am now pushing 50, hold varios quallies such as canoe level 4 coach, ML (summer) and earn my living by writing, coaching and leading expeds around the world, amongst other bits and bobs (all legal!)
I have never been as rich as when I worked in computers but have had a fantastic time and as I am currently on a strict diet, it would seem that I have not starved either!
Enjoy the "now", grow and learn and HAVE FUN!
John

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hey Bonnie Wolf..heres a though....why not start one? Theres loads of people on here who live in the Hants / Sussex area who might well be up for a Bushcraft oriented wander ;)

Red

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Great stuff! I love to hear when people are pursuing their ambitions. it motivates me to do also. Go with your gut mate. great to hear about your enthousiasm and your plans :You_Rock_

BonnieWolf

Aug 22, 2006
Hampshire, uk
webface.genericlan.net
Goose said:
Have you tried going back to cadets as a leader or helper?

I'm certainly thinking about it! while i was there my father was a CI (civilian instructor) and after about a year or so he was put on a Beala course, while enables you to legally take a small group of young adults or adults out into the 'open field' for free! so yes I’m defiantly thinking of going back! ^^

BonnieWolf

Aug 22, 2006
Hampshire, uk
webface.genericlan.net
British Red said:
Hey Bonnie Wolf..heres a though....why not start one? Theres loads of people on here who live in the Hants / Sussex area who might well be up for a Bushcraft oriented wander ;)

Red

wow, that's an idea!

somthing i'd have to do with my father i think, his knowege is worth worshiping *giggle*

i guess its well worth seeing who's instrested

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Good on you stick with it. Have you looked at joining the Backpackers club, they have meet ups all over and you can get loads of info about wild camping and places to do it, discounts on walking equipment in some shops it's £12 a year with a quaterly mag www.backpackersclub.co.uk :)

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I completed my ML in 1996 and have since worked with DOE Gold groups on the Isle of Wight. As advised before I would contact the Youth Service at Hampshire County Council who should be able to point you in the right direction. The WGL is now an option for those starting out and good luck with it.
The main thing that made a difference to my ML was lot's and lot's of practice, just get out there day and night trying different compass skills, pacing, timing so you are really comfortable being immersed in being outdoors.
Good Luck.

Nigel

Nov 17, 2006
Gtr Manchester
You could start by reading every book you can get hold of, on living out of doors, then when your're not reading get out and about, even if that means going on your own. Just a word of warning though if going solo; be sure not too bight off more than you can chew. To thine own self be true! as the old saying goes. You can always tell a fishermans tail to your mates later if so inclined.

Mack

PS When on your own you really get to know and understand yourself. If you want to lead others you must first learn to lead yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE