volunteering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
As Melonfish has covered above, I got him in on the action at a local SSSI and I've been working with the local rangers for the last 6 months. Mostly maintenance work at this time of year, but next year we'll be surveying the SSSI so ID'ing skills we be given a flex.

Training with the BCTV, doing all the free courses their offering at the moment for those in the Cheshire post-code area (in conjunction with Habitats & Hillforts who got a big gov'ment grant recently) - I'd like to be able to volunteer with these guys as they are awesome, however the local group meets Wednesdays and Fridays which is difficult for those in full time employment.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I did once.
Whilst at university I really fancied this German girl. She was definitely into the whole environment thing and volunteered to help copice some woods on the south downs. Seeing an opportunity, I volunteered as well.
My reckoning was that we'd spend the day together, have a shared experience, it'd make me look good (I wore my Levellers t-shirt as well, since I knew she was a really big fan of the Levellers), and that I'd get my wicked way.
It was hard work, but I must say it was enjoyable as well.
But my dastardly scheme came to nothing - never did manage to cop-off with her.
That did teach me a very important lesson though: don't bother volunteering again - it's not worth it.

Not really (well, I really did volunteer with the hope of impressing her, and I really didn't get anywhere. But that's not the lesson I learnt).

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Must be 20 years ago now,but I used to work as a Countryside Ranger(3 years)stupid money and worked most weekends either working with volunteers locally or volunteering to do work with the BTCV or running courses for the BTCV,even when I was at college I worked with a Vet for no money for 2 years as he dealt with alot of wildlife not just domestic animals.As far as I can remember,lol,it wasnt doing something as a volunteer it was doing something I loved to do,even though you did it for no monetary gain.

Erm, dunno if it's in the same vein as rangers, but I'm in the local Mountain Rescue team. All of the members in all of the mountain rescue and search and rescue teams throughout the country are volunteers. Despite what the polititians think we really don't get paid for this.

I find the work immensly satisfying, there's a fair bit of time put in for training and courses and there's the getting called out at 3am to look for someone which can be a bit of a bind sometimes, especialy when you've got to roll into work straight after.

Oh, I do get a very nice jacket in red and black, and occasionaly get to drive the Landrover with the blue lights on(it sure beats driving around in the GF's Astra making woowoo noises!)

And I get to hang around with other nutters in red and black too........

And I get to swap stories with said nutters too.........

Have a look

www.newsar.org.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE