Gas Cannisters Vs Liquid Fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
How do all
Just wondering when it would be appropriate to use a liquid fuel cannister (pumped up to a gaseous form), as opposed to a regular camping gas cannister? Almost always use a gas cannister when camping, but do have the kit for the liquid based stoves (unsure of the correct term).
Something to do with the temperature outside?
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

Reactions: QT0

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Appropriate how? Both contain energy, gas slightly less per weight, liquids much more per volume. Gas is handy on short trips, on longer ones I prefer liquids though that might be because I learned that first 60 years ago.

Reactions: Glen22

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
When I’m not using the Kelly Kettle, I use a Trangia meths burner. In freezing conditions all it needs is to sit in a nest of hay, dry leaves or a paper handkerchief soused in meths and fired. It all goes a bit nuclear for a few minutes but once it’s hot it keeps going.

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
Appropriate how? Both contain energy, gas slightly less per weight, liquids much more per volume. Gas is handy on short trips, on longer ones I prefer liquids though that might be because I learned that first 60 years ago.
I've heard that in some conditions, such as extreme cold, that gas does not work well at all. I wondered if Liquid fuel also had this weakness, or if it would be more appropriate for colder climates. I've almost always used gas (Meths used very occasionally) and never had any issues, even on longer trips.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Gas is safe, reliable and works down to below minus temperatures. Some gas stoves have a pre heater across the burner so you can effectively turn the cylinder upside down and burn liquid gas.

Fuel stoves can flare up and if you don not sues good quality fuel the jets can block.
I use Aspen 4 in mine. I have a Coleman stove that I use when I canoe camp but it is much easier to gas or my Trangia set.

In the UK I can’t see any reason to use liquid fuel stoves. We rarely get consistently low temperatures and carrying and using petrol or equivalent is more problematic. I had a fur bottle leak once in a canoe expedition and had to eat petrol tasting fuel for several days!

Reactions: LtDansLegs

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I've heard that in some conditions, such as extreme cold, that gas does not work well at all.
Kind of true, butane stops working well at about 0C, propane works down to -40C, so weather your gas works depends on the mixture. Problem with mixtures is that in cold propane comes out first enriching butane which at the end might cause problems. Ethanol works in all temps you come across. Petrol basically the same but in very cold the burners might require some time heating them proper working temps.

Reactions: LtDansLegs

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
Kind of true, butane stops working well at about 0C, propane works down to -40C, so weather your gas works depends on the mixture. Problem with mixtures is that in cold propane comes out first enriching butane which at the end might cause problems. Ethanol works in all temps you come across. Petrol basically the same but in very cold the burners might require some time heating them proper working temps.
Good to know, ill have to check what kind of gas mix I've been using. So in theory I'm fine using gas no matter the weather in the UK, but for energy density I might be better off with liquid fuels? I intend to do some ultra light camping in the future and so knowing which fuel source is the most energy rich is handy.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I tend to use a variety of liquid fuel stoves. Coleman 424, featherlight or a MSR Dragonfly. All seem fairly to use and get going.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Liquid fuel in the mountains - low temperature = low gas pressure and long cooking times. A modern fuel stove - using petrol or kerosene and equivalent burning liquids, are safe if used properly and reliable in all conditions if you service them.

I use both, gas in the lowlands and liquid fuel in the highlands (less frequent these days :)) - but I also use a small wood stove or even a small open fire where it's safe and acceptable.

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Micro lite Trangia

You can get a rip off version for a fraction of this price.

There is the inevitable weight of the fuel and bottle to add in.

I like equipment with as few moving parts and tolerances and as little maintenance as possible. Zero is a good number to rely on.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, I was put off meths stoves when a kid and failed to cook a meal after nearly an hour trying - my bad, I know :) How long does it take to boil say 1/2 litre of water on a Trangia?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
That was exactly my experience did a glenmore lodge hillwalking course aged 17. The two of us in a tent took over an hour to barely get the food hot enough. Never touched one since.
It’s hexi or gas for me only.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
H/O. Let’s find out.
I’ll edit this post when I know.

Edit 1
We’re off! M40 stove with civilian burner. The military 125ml one is fractionally quicker but most folk will have the ordinary 100ml.

IMG_5636.jpeg

Edit2 NOW we’re cooking on meths!
IMG_5637.jpeg

Edit3
Coffee up.
IMG_5640.jpeg

IMG_5643.jpeg

Yes your Jet Boil will do it quicker, so will a half litre Kelly.
And to be fair you’d need to add a couple of minutes for fuelling the Trangia because I always carry it empty.

But you’re camping ***. There is plenty to be doing while you water boils. Enjoy yourself, it’s not the Winter Olympics!

Many tens of thousands of us have cooked for ourselves and families on Trangias and that includes the Swedish Army.

Meths works!

Attachments

• IMG_5641.jpeg
    IMG_5641.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I bought a Lixada copy of an Evernew (I didn't know it was a copy at the time) which has 2 sets of holes. It throws out WAY more heat than a Trangia, giving more of a canister-like output but silently. Obviously it gets through fuel faster than a Trangia.

25CB0732-B361-4F0F-8F48-F558D21494BB.jpeg

Reactions: Ozmundo

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Time it - If time matters. (Not to me:). )

Sometimes - but after a long, wet, maybe even snowy hike in to the hills, the last thing you want to be waiting for is your hot drink or hot food. I've had to fix up quick meals and drinks for people shivering with damp and cold and in the dark at altitude (well, altitude for the UK) - I can do that in a couple of minutes with my multi-fuel MSR Stove. The outdoors isn't all about relaxation and mindfulness :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Really?
I know a jet boil can manage half a litre in six minutes and it is instant lighting - but well…….

Actually, to be fair, 500ml water starting at 3C, took 3 minutes 10 seconds - but agreed, it takes about 30 seconds to get lit if you're prepared for a bit of flame :)

Post #9 on this thread

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE