vinegar patina

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 14, 2012
uk
hi guys
think about putting a patina on my clipper to help protect from rust and heard you can just leave it soaking in vinegar overnight but wanted to check with you guys what you know and also when i sharpen it will that just take the patina off the bevel if so does that not matter???

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Don't soak it in vinegar. Your blade will go black as soot. I use salad cream to help a patina develop. Just random blobs on the blade, the patina develops around the edges of the blobs rather than underneath it. So with a bit of thinking you can pattern patina your blade :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've found salad cream to be the best for patina too, you will have a shiny bevel after sharpening 'cos you're removing metal but that's normal buddy.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
when you say salad cream could i just use mayo or does it have to be the stuff labelled salad cream??? also do i just leave that over night and wipe off the blade in the morning

Mar 14, 2012
uk
I don't think they get salad cream in Holland, but tomato ketchup would probably work.

why do you say holland or are you just saying that as an example where they couldn't get salad cream so instead use tomato ketchup??? pay try the ketchup tonight as we have plenty at home

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Actual Heinz salad cream is what i've used, worked better than heinz tomato sauce at the time.

When i tried the kitchen towel soaked in vinegar it left the pattern of the towel on the blade, not nice.

I just smeared the cream over the blade and left it for a couple of hours, not overnight.

This was with a carbon mora, tried it overnight with an opinel before that and it 'ate' into the steel pitting the surface, hence only leaving for a few hours.

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Don't soak it in vinegar. Your blade will go black as soot. I use salad cream to help a patina develop. Just random blobs on the blade, the patina develops around the edges of the blobs rather than underneath it. So with a bit of thinking you can pattern patina your blade :)

I used frenches mustard when I did mine and did a pattern on my opinel no8, only left it on for 30 mins or so and was long enough to do the job. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94591&highlight=patina

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
why do you say holland or are you just saying that as an example where they couldn't get salad cream so instead use tomato ketchup??? pay try the ketchup tonight as we have plenty at home

If I remember correctly, back in the day when I visited Holland regularly Salad Cream was one of the things (HP sauce, english sausages, teabags etc) that our English friends living in Holland asked us to bring over.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
this is a vinegar patina on a carbon mora blade, very dark! with a minor micro edge sharpening it stays this dark too, but I strop my whole edge these days and it's black and manky on top and mirror on the edge! looks better this way :)

DSCF1978.jpg

Don't bother faffing about with the patina unless you want it artistic, anything with vinegar will do (salad cream, mustard, tomy k etc etc), get it on and get it dark, best way to preserve the steel! give a proper soapy clean after you give it the ol' fake tan look too or it'll rust in and pit!

if you haven't got enough vinegar stab it into a potato, it'll patina well and evenly.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
De-grease the blade, dry it and then put it in a glass of Dr Pepper for about two hours (check every ten minutes after the first hour) or Irn Bru for an hour (! dark!)
Take it out, wash and dry the blade then strop the edge to bring the shine back and lightly oil the blade with 3 in 1.
JOB DONE! :cool:

Mar 14, 2012
uk
sat o living room table for 30mins with asda smart price english mustard dabbed on wiped blade off and i think it was kind of setting in so dabbed new mustard on and set another 30min timer
will keep you updated
(this is only doing one side when i am happy with this side will flip over and do other)

greensurfingbear

sat o living room table for 30mins with asda smart price english mustard dabbed on wiped blade off and i think it was kind of setting in so dabbed new mustard on and set another 30min timer
will keep you updated
(this is only doing one side when i am happy with this side will flip over and do other)

Post pics once ya done :)

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE