Viking period costume - books and resources

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
So hey

I'm starting to research the subject of viking clothing with the possibility of revolving my 4th year (textile design BA) around the construction of a viking costume.

Surprisingly, the literature at hand in the uni library is somewhat scant and disappointing.

So, can anyone recommend any good books, museums, website, resources of any kind that I could look to in order to inform me upon this subject (awful grammar, apologies)?

I'm on a quest for authenticity, and will probably end up having to spend a small fortune on unusual yarns and dyestuffs, so I want it to be totally worth it. Also, any information on garment construction, sewing techniques, use of hide, leather and so on is gratefully accepted.

Should I choose to go down this route I shall be documenting the whole process on my bloggy blog over the course of the next 8 months.

Andrew

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Regia Angloram website gives hints for reenactors clothing and a good google gave me some excellent other sources.
Have fun!

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
sounds interesting. swmbo is making herself a viking dress at the moment she may be able to help when she gets back. i reckon your best bet may be joining up to some reenactment forums and enquiring there as authenticity differs between periods and locations. heres a link or two that may be useful

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/clothing.htm

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/clothing.shtml

http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/authenticity.htm

Im sure Wayland will be along soon to shed some insight ;)

Here on the Isle of Man there is a rich Viking history.
Aplace called the House of Manannan houses a good story and history of Vikings who settled here.
The Longship is full sized and had to do it in 3 photos, its sea worthy and was sailed from Norway to Peel in the Isle of Man.
Sorry about the photo overload but hope some of this helps.

Detail of Viking Possibles Pouch and knife.
erins16084.jpg

Round House with family and domestic belongings.
erins16082.jpg

Above view of Longship

VikingShip.jpg

Close up of some items in the ship.

erins16091.jpg

Viking kitchen
erins16087.jpg

Closer view on the longship
erins16089.jpg

Corracle made of hide.

erins16083.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I will humbly confess I have never been in the house of Mananan...Someone `said` there is no original artifacts there.

Give me the nautical Museum in Castletown and the `Peggy` any day.

(Says she who would like to settle on your homely isle one day.)

Tengu, there are indeed no artifacts per se in the house, rather a story being told (interesting) the artifacts that are found are housed in the Manx museum, an interesting show.
The Peggy story is a great insight to the days of Smugglers and outwitting the Royal Navy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE