Vihe Vaellus Laavu Mini Shelter experiences

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Hi All
I've always liked the idea of a baker tent but they look too heavy.
I wondered if anyone had any experience of these:

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/1310-Vihe-Vaellus-Laavu-Mini-Shelter/

It seems pretty pricey and I'm not sure if I want one; especially for that money. One went on eBay a while back for about £70 which seems a bit more like it. So I thought I would ask if anyone has one, what it's like etc. If you've got one please get in touch.

All the best.

Russ

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Russ, I had one for a while then sold it on as it didn't suit my needs. Pro's and Con's:

Pro's: Well made, light, simple.
Con's: Difficult to rig tightly, supplied white cord average quality, quite low so no working space (if that's what you want), can be tricky to manage campfire smoke. Stuffsack made out of the same fabric (not that robust for pegs).

My main reason for selling was the lack of height for working under, not such an issue if you only want it for sleeping under. I bought the Loue 1 later and prefer it as it is more open and has more height (very nice with a fire out the front). Both shelters are vulnerable to filling up with smoke unless you get the angle spot on.

I often think a 3x3m tarp offers the best versatility (and saves you £100!). With a bit of Tarpology you can make all sorts of funky shelters and (pitched high enough) can be used with a fire underneath.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Saw one in use at a meet a couple of weeks ago. A bit too low to sit under in my opinion.

Wayland_Shelter-2.jpg

This is my 3x3 tarp rigged Adirondack style which I have used successfully here and even in Arctic winter conditions.

Allows for other options as well.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Your 3x3 setup looks more liveable than the Vihe Vaellus Laavu Mini Shelter, better head room for sure. the only advantage I can see of the Mini Shelter is that the overhang looks like it can be lowered right down if the wind is coming from a few directions.

Saw one in use at a meet a couple of weeks ago. A bit too low to sit under in my opinion.

Wayland_Shelter-2.jpg

This is my 3x3 tarp rigged Adirondack style which I have used successfully here and even in Arctic winter conditions.

Allows for other options as well.

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Thanks everyone. Great responses and as I suspected I might be best improving my tarpology!
Love the set up in the photo- I need to give that a go.
All the best.
Russ

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Your 3x3 setup looks more liveable than the Vihe Vaellus Laavu Mini Shelter, better head room for sure. the only advantage I can see of the Mini Shelter is that the overhang looks like it can be lowered right down if the wind is coming from a few directions.

i can't find a picture that shows it well but I have a robust reflective blanket which I attach to the windward side of the overhang to improve the shelter in stronger weather conditions. It certainly reduces spin drift and blown snow in the sort of conditions I would use this set up in.

In heavier weather I tend to use a rig that can be closed down fully. ( Again I cannot find a picture to show you I'm afraid. Sorry.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE