Views on the Gumotex Twist 2 Camo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
Hi Guys

Has anyone had any experience using the Gumotex Twist 2, I have read all the bumf on them and what they claim, but I would like to hear the views of you guys who have actually owned and used one, so if you have a few minutes please let me know your views on the canoe, thanx in advance

Kaizer

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya Kaizer,

Haven't actually used that model but have an earlier incarnation of it, (actually talking about it elsewhere on the boards a few mins ago).

It doesn't track as well as a hard hulled boat in the water, but then I wouldn't expect it too. I found that it was great for me and enough kit for a few days exploring. The main thing I liked about it was I could stick it in the car if I was heading off and if I used it fine, if I didn't it was also no great loss as it wasn't all the hassle of taking a big 16 foot job on the roof of the car.

Inflated very quickly even with the little bellows pump that they supplied back then, though getting the upright stirrip type pump made it even faster. Is pretty tough, scraped it of the rocks and never worried about it puncturing. It held air well to, never needing topped up whilst away though I always carried the pump with me just in case. It also made a comfy bed at night and doubled as a cracking paddling pool for the kids and dog.

A good solid construction and I've certainly had my monies worth out of it. But for longer trips and windier / rougher conditions I'd want to be in a solid hulled Canadian.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Like yourself i have read all the sales promotion on the twist and all other gumotex in that range or pricing and they sound good kit but i have my eye on a gumotex seawave as i decided the twist can't be really any better than either of my other less than £200 IK's as they are amazing bits of kit and do exactly what they said in the sales patter (Intex Explorer K2 and a Sevylor Tahiti plus), whereas the Seawave has reinforcement crossbeams and lots of other rigidity enhancements that neither the twist 2 or my other boats have

Gumotex Seawave

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I do not know much about this at all, but we have a gumotex "sunny", that we got over 10 years back. It looks an awful lot like the twist. It has had a lot of use and is still going strong. This is it with a TwoSocks for scale. It takes two grownups (Me and SWMBO) but not really any kit besides my small watertight barrel and a backpack with a pump and some food. I have not much experience with hard-hulled boats at all, but for daytrips I like this one for the reasons goatboy mentions: it packs quite small, inflates very quickly, and is very durable.
DSCF1948.JPG

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yup Twosocks,

It's the Sunny Double that I have too, seems to be an older version of what the OP is looking at. I tended to use on my own with kit and or a small rather excitable Jack Russell.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
My ik's have given me a new avenue of outdoor life with no end and no hyperbole

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, sorry I have taken so long to reply, anyway I pulled the trigger on a Gumotex Twist 2 Camo and to be honest its been great fun, I am well happy with my purchase, I have used it on a couple of small lakes and on the River Tawe that runs through my home town, both alone and carrying another adult, it has coped well although wind does affect keeping it on course, but the fun element far out weighs the cons, I am hoping to do a circular of the Monmouth And Brecon Canal this year over a couple of days, can't wait to get out there

Kaizer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE