very newbie, Hi everyone and need some advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hawkmaster

Jul 16, 2010
bexhill on sea. east sussex
:campfire:Hi everyone, I am a complete novice to the world of bushcraft, I have started to gather some kit together eg knife (falkernivven f1 to start with, but I will have one made, new forest bushcraft seem to make robust looking knives? but to be honest I dont have a clue yet.) I also aquired fire steel, tarp, small forest axe billycan etc all were gifts for last xmas that I am now lookig forward to learnig to use correctly.
My first camp trip will be to the wilderness gathering in august, could someone please tell me what kit your permitted to take, I asume taking a knife would be out of the question at a public venue? Where do you camp, are you allowed to have a fire or is it strickly cold camps only? Is it ok to use a tent or tarp (hav'nt used it yet) are there places to get food or do I have to bring it all with me ?
I will be travelling alone, so I hope to get to know some proper bushcrafters and hopefully pick your brains in the evenings etc.
My main hobby used to be Falconry, but due to personal reasons I had to let my birds (1 female harris hawk,1 male harris hawk and 1 female barn owl) go to very good homes.
None of my friends are interested in learnig bushcraft so i think it is going to be hard doing it all on my own but I will make the best of it. First thing I have to do is find a freindly land owner who will allow me to use there woodland etc, whats the best way to approach people? I live in east sussex on the coast nr Hastings, if there are any bushcrafters in the area I would be very grateful for any advise or possible contact.
Sorry to have gone on a bit, but I really would appreciate some advice to my above questions, thanks for reading my note and look forward to hearing from you .

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Always good to see a new bushcrafter. Instead of having a knife made, why don't you make one yourself? Not as expensive or difficult as it seems. Any problems, don't hesitate to ask someone here.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Welcome to BcUK. You won't have a problem taking a knife to the meet. How else are you supposed to practice shared skills.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
At the wilderness you can camp in the woods or in the field, Fires allowed in both but in the field they must be raised off the ground. They have a food court there but I would advise taking you own main meals. As for sharps, take as many as you want, everyone else does :)

Regards
Ben

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi hawkemaster i ve had a knife made by newforest bushcraft cost under £100 and he makes it to your spec regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE