Vertical Tower planting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anyone use vertical tower planting as a regular means of producing food?

vert.jpg

I think its a useful use of space ( vertical vs horizontal ) and can see the benefits for growing small scale in sub urban areas - I just wonder how many people have either A ) Experimented with it B ) Continue to use it?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have toyed with the idea but not yet got round to sorting out anything. Though this year I'm going to try growing courgettes up a hazel pole instead of letting them sprawl across my limited space in a raised bed.
Apparently it's helpful for air flow too so less powdery mildew on the leaves, which is always a big problem when crammed into my small beds.
Should be an interesting experiment.
I imagine this system would be perfect for salad crops , say on a balcony or small courtyard area.
Last year, I saw someone growing lettuce in tin cans wired to their front garden railings, but they got stolen!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I don't grow either.

But know of a group in Paris that is growing ontop of buildings in the city.
Which looks pretty cool.

Elon Musk's brother, Kimbal runs Square Roots that does vertical growing inside of a shipping containers.

Also follow https://www.youtube.com/c/TheRealMartian whose being trying to figure it out for several years. Initially with a large scale all encompassing project that was all encompassing, bio digesters, fish ponds producing manure for the plants and so on. But recently has moved to smaller scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE