Version of the lap vice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
After looking at Whittler Kev's thread, here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136030 and reading Macaroons comments on said thread, I thought I'd have a go at making one.
Knocked this up this morning, 10" x 11.5" scrap of 12mm WBP ply, drilled, cut, sanded and given a couple of coats of Walnut oil. A little over an hour to make. It's a bit rough and ready but it works very well. Thanks for looking.

Lap Vice 017.jpg Lap Vice 018.jpg Lap Vice 019.jpg

PS the large block is a piece of 3x3 par.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
This is a nice worktop, and new to me, even with me being a Swede.

I see this thing could be folded into multi-use as another Swedish camping staple item; "Hajkbricka"
This thing is used for light snow shoveling duty, fanning the fire, writing board, platform for stoves on snow etc..
It can looks like this: http://www.andersj.se/hajkbricka/hajk6.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good work Colin; that's pretty much the same as the one I made myself............they're a great help for holding carving pieces, especially as I'm not getting any younger and can't hold small stuff safely any more.

I'll dig mine out and put up a pic. later on :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice simple but elegant idea Mr. Kelly. Me likey.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Clever design that is... are you still using your feet to add the tension, or are you using a ratchet strap type of thingymajig?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Clever design that is... are you still using your feet to add the tension, or are you using a ratchet strap type of thingymajig?

It's the same principle as the one shown in the Dave Canterbury vid, only this is made in the shop. Materials will be lighter and stronger, but works in the same way as Dave's.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
More than I'll ever be able to figure out what to do or say. Can't say I miss them.
In any event, will build a lap vise. Thanks for the look.
Won't see daily use but there are carving times when I wonder just how to hang onto the wood
without some indented clamping damage.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
More than I'll ever be able to figure out what to do or say. Can't say I miss them.
In any event, will build a lap vise. Thanks for the look.
Won't see daily use but there are carving times when I wonder just how to hang onto the wood
without some indented clamping damage.

No offence intended RV, but what do you have to do?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Apparently, the software has a "ban" function which, when activated, can't be reversed.
Seems to be an auto response when I tried. I have boats to build.
As Kev says in Post #11, determined to keep their members in line, as well.
These are private sites with membership, they can decide who gets to play in the sandbox.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Watch the vid in the opening post, about 3.50m in

Or here.

[video=youtube;GhJMpePX4Fw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhJMpePX4Fw[/video]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE