I am an idiot! Discovery of the human shave horse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Ok, as the title suggests I am about to point out how much of an idiot I am but going on the basis I can't be the only one in the world I thought I would share my ineptitude in the hope someone else may benefit from it.

I recently started a thread explaining that I have recently moved and now that I have a garage and a kindly donated tree stump for a carving block I am trying my hand at carving a bowl for the first time.

I was having trouble keeping the bowl blank steady for the draw knife and gouge and was looking for ideas to secure it.
I was looking at chocks, wedges, straps etc... As an easy win until I get round to making a shave horse.
I tried several but nothing was entirely right, the best I managed was this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412438327.638106.jpg

Anyway I got to a fiddly bit and was checking over the blank to decide where to thin down next and rested it on my lap, I reached over to get my draw knife and almost winded myself as the blank caught between my stomach and the stump!

Eureka moment then ensued!

What I realised once I could breath again what that by holding the wood like this gave me access to all areas and could be quickly and easily moved as required - exactly like having it in a shave horse.
Now I will admit 3 hours later I can definitely feel my back making protest but it has allowed me to crack on and make some real progress without getting (too) stressed or wasting time fiddling around things every two minutes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412438880.866468.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412438893.637348.jpg

Anyway I know this is a pretty pointless post and I deserve any "remarks" that come my way but felt the need to share.

All the best, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Been trying to find some more info for you since your other post and found this vid, might be a useful project for you and could be adapted to your current tree stump bench.

[video=youtube_share;VD0rwN3_VUg]http://youtu.be/VD0rwN3_VUg[/video]

You could use salvaged pallet wood to reduce costs.:D
Rob.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Been trying to find some more info for you since your other post and found this vid, might be a useful project for you and could be adapted to your current tree stump bench.

[video=youtube_share;VD0rwN3_VUg]http://youtu.be/VD0rwN3_VUg[/video]

You could use salvaged pallet wood to reduce costs.:D
Rob.

I really like that idea and I can see how it should work quite well with my stump too, I think I will see if I can scrounge some odds and ends and see what I come up with.

Cheers, Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE