Venison and Fry Bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
We had three different groups over for Christmas, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day (though we don't call it that). While Wing did her magic in the kitchen, I worked over the fire out at the fire ring.

For fry bread, I made a bowl, perhaps more of a tray, of birchbark, sewn at each corner with watape (spruce root). I mixed flour, salt, powdered milk, powdered sugar, baking powder, and blue berries. As it was cold out, I kept it near the fire to raise for two hours.

Venison stew was prepared by cutting up venison, celery, potatos, onions and carrots, on the top of a clean log and hung from the tripod over the fire in an old two gallon brass kettle.

The venison roast was suspended from the tripod using a piece of wire. It was centered over the hottest part of the fire for a time until the outside was completely charred, then put off to the side of the fire (low heat) and given a spin every so often for about three hours.

The fry bread was pulled off the main pieces of dough in golf ball size chunks and flattened from the center out. It was dropped into hot grease in a three gallon copper kettle suspended from the tripod.

The fry bread and venison roast disapeared almost immediately. Half the venison stew was eaten, but we'd made enough to freeze the rest for another day. Along with the roast turkey, roast ham, wild rice soup, baked grouse, baked pheasent, Swedish meatballs, calico beans, three types of salad, fattigman, krumkake, rosettes, three types of bread rolls, Danish plum pudding, cranberries, etc etc, that Wing had created in the kitchen, no one went hungry. All in all, we fed over 60 people

Now we are just wondering what to do with the leftovers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE