vegetarianism and bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I don't eat much meat, but it isn't for ethical reasons. It's because of my job. After chopping up over 15000 bodies, I have naturally developed a dislike for meaty things. Fillets are not too bad, but once there is a bone in it or a lump of fat or gristle, it makes me retch. Strange that... Also my girlfriend is a veggie, which means I don't eat meat at home. Strangely enough, Morrisons veggie sossies are much better than the real thing, and don't contain snouts and entrails. This is the only good thing about Morrisons that I can think of.
The thing that confuses me is why do people eat fish yet not meat? Aren't fish alive as well? Surely it's the same thing? I would rather see animals and fish alive than dissected and wrapped in cellothane, but wild animals or free range bred for food is acceptable as long as it is despatched humanely. I wouldn't go out in the wilds and kill an animal to eat if I don't have to. I have done it so I know I can if need be, but why should that creature die just because I decide to eat meat in the wild when Tescos is full of it that has been bred for that purpose? But if others want to that is fine by me. What bugs me most is people who preach their way and cannot accept other's habits. We all make our own minds up...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Spacemonkey said:
I wouldn't go out in the wilds and kill an animal to eat if I don't have to. I have done it so I know I can if need be, but why should that creature die just because I decide to eat meat in the wild when Tescos is full of it that has been bred for that purpose? But if others want to that is fine by me. What bugs me most is people who preach their way and cannot accept other's habits. We all make our own minds up...

Agreed,each to his own.From my point of view there is no difference between Tesco's animal dying and a wild animal dying.Apart that is from the fact that the wild animal was living a natural life before dispatch.Everything living dies,if it goes for food then it is not wasted.Wild creatures don't spend their old age in happy retirement,they starve,freeze,get sick and die.Much better to meet a quick end at the peak of their lives and supply me with a much appreciated meal.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
BorderReiver said:
Agreed,each to his own.From my point of view there is no difference between Tesco's animal dying and a wild animal dying

and Tesco's are making far too much profit for my liking - there is def. some corners being cut, and under-hand tactics from them to warrant such a huge profit margin.

(am i being bitter?)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
grahoom said:
and Tesco's are making far too much profit for my liking - there is def. some corners being cut, and under-hand tactics from them to warrant such a huge profit margin.

(am i being bitter?)

No,you're quite right.My point was that both animals had to die to be eaten,the fact that Tesco's were bred for the purpose is irrelevant.
All the supermarkets are forcing down prices and that means that husbandry standards are being lowered in the countries that don't have our standards--the countries where the supermarkets buy their meat. :(

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
BorderReiver said:
No,you're quite right.My point was that both animals had to die to be eaten,the fact that Tesco's were bred for the purpose is irrelevant.
All the supermarkets are forcing down prices and that means that husbandry standards are being lowered in the countries that don't have our standards--the countries where the supermarkets buy their meat. :(

yeah, for sure - didnt mean to dismiss your point - just wanted to rant on tesco :)

been reading this site to much
http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
BorderReiver said:
Oh I LOVE a good rant :D :D

from

corportate watch.

In recent years, Tesco and its major supermarket rivals have faced criticism for abusing their monopoly positions and contributing to some of the major social and environmental problems plaguing society today. These include exploiting small farmers in the UK and worldwide and hastening their replacement with industrial monoculture plantations where wages are low and labour rights are minimal; undercutting almost every other retailer and hence turning our town centres into boarded-up ghost towns; co-operating with climate criminals, Esso; as well as numerous other corporate crimes.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
I'm just saying 'snap' to Grahoom's original post, except that I don't hunt. I do, however, eat meat that I know was shot by a competent hunter.

I think the main reason that people will eat fish but not other animals (btw it's called pescetarianism) is that fish aren't cute and fluffy. Mind you, I bet they wouldn't eat snake. ;)

And I forget who it was who mentioned going back to eating meat because of having to eat soya - the only soya I eat is soy sauce, so it is possible to be veggie without soya. Probably not vegan though.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Emma said:
And I forget who it was who mentioned going back to eating meat because of having to eat soya - the only soya I eat is soy sauce, so it is possible to be veggie without soya. Probably not vegan though.

i dont eat much soya at all either.

i dont generally eat "meat substitute" stuff - altough the caldron sausages are pretty fine.

i know a bloke who is vegan - but doesn't really like veg. - he is vegan for ethical reasons. - but he seems to have a healthy diet.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I didn't really want to get drawn in to this debate as there seems to be some very strong conflicting opinions, but my personal standpoint (and i dont rub it in anyones face) is that i dont eat anything that had a face, but I'm definately not vegan.

But what i did want to say is this - I like my leather boots. Leather is a great material, an natural with it. I have several leather jackets. I would be happier if the animal wasn't completely wasted.

I hope, i think, that makes sense...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
innocent bystander said:
I didn't really want to get drawn in to this debate as there seems to be some very strong conflicting opinions, but my personal standpoint (and i dont rub it in anyones face) is that i dont eat anything that had a face, but I'm definately not vegan.

But what i did want to say is this - I like my leather boots. Leather is a great material, an natural with it. I have several leather jackets. I would be happier if the animal wasn't completely wasted.

I hope, i think, that makes sense...

Of course it makes sense! Your contribution to any debate is as valid as anyone else's.Any point of view that makes people examine their own beliefs and opinions is valuable.A few of the comments so far have got me thinking.
Get drawn in IB,get your boots muddy. :)

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
shinobi said:
I too aspire to only eat food that i've been involved with either the capture or preparation of.
Martin

I get so confused with this issue. I too understand the idea of eating food you only capture yourself, but then I have another argument that pops up in my generally confused little mind...millions of animals are killed to eat everyday...the supermarkets are filled with food and the amount of wasted food is incredible, the conflict that I have is...do I catch and kill something when I'm out and about, knowing that I could have spared the life of that animal because I have more than enough already, it's called Tesco, or do I, for the sake of learning bushcraft techniques, kill the animal sim[ly to understand how to gut it and cook it. I have a huge problem knowing that very soon, if I get any deeper into bushcraft I'm going to be faced with having to kill a live animal. I don't know if I can. I don't know if I want to kill something just because I can, when I know that I could just as easily allow it to live. Not sure if any of this makes sense. Sigh.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Kim said:
I have more than enough already, it's called Tesco, or do I, for the sake of learning bushcraft techniques, kill the animal sim[ly to understand how to gut it and cook it. I have a huge problem knowing that very soon, if I get any deeper into bushcraft I'm going to be faced with having to kill a live animal. I don't know if I can. I don't know if I want to kill something just because I can, when I know that I could just as easily allow it to live. Not sure if any of this makes sense. Sigh.

the thing is for me, is that i personally try and avoid shopping at major supermarkets, especially tesco's - mainly because i really dont agree with what they are doing within the "market" place and how they have achieved their great status; i grew up in a village and a lot of the big supermarkets are killing local shops and farm shops etc because they are able to sell products at a greatly reduced price.

but i do see your point - if there are animals that are farmed and killed and there is a lot of food wasted then it seems a little weird to go and kill some other animals that are living in the wild. but i think it has been mentioned before in this thread, that a lot of the time the actual life experience of some farmed animal is awful (i am not talking of all farming, as there are for sure plenty of farms that treat their animals with respect - as they rightly should)

i guess that when it comes down to it - personally, i can live with out eating meat, but i have nothing against the principle in eating meet that has been fairly hunted, and captured from its natural environment.

*ramble over.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
shinobi said:
Living on the coast, I was ignoring one of natures fullest larders, so I too have just started to learn to sea fish, I've only been once, but I managed to catch lunch :D
I've managed to find some fantastic tutors in game capture and preparation, (Thanks Gary and PW) who are educating me in the path of ethical food preparation. A lot better than me going out on my own and causing pain and suffering to animals.

See you on the beach sometime?

Martin

yeah for sure - i havn't been out fishing in a while. - most often than not i have done night fishing. - over winter it was pretty damn cold standing out on the beach. - but all good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE