Vapalux lamp help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I have a vapalux lamp that lights well and appears to be working fine except that after a few hours burning the mantle develops brown/black spots that eventually create a ring around the mantle. This drastically reduces the light output - does anyone know why? The jet is clean and the built in jet cleaner is in good condition - the vapouriser was new when I got it and still it is protective grease, which I removed with industrial meths :confused:

TIA,

Rich

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Rich,
Could it be dirty fuel or somthing in the fuel tank? Had a few snags on expedition with paraffin lamps and stoves when the fuels been dirty.
Not usually a problem in the UK but I cant think of anything else. Ta.
Ed

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Thanks for the ideas guys

Fuel is clean - I've checked - I'm using good quality parafffin. The mantle came as a pack of three with the servicing kit for the lamp - all from base-camp.co.uk, who know there lamps. It's got me very confused...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I use a paraffin lamp with a mantle and if the flame is set too high it leads to incomplete burning of the fuel, esp with mantles. This leads to soot deposits on the mantle. The solution for the lamp I use (an Aladdin type lamp) is to run the lamp at a very low flame to burn off the deposit.

http://www.aladdinlamps.info/burning.htm

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I use a paraffin lamp with a mantle and if the flame is set too high it leads to incomplete burning of the fuel, esp with mantles. This leads to soot deposits on the mantle. The solution for the lamp I use (an Aladdin type lamp) is to run the lamp at a very low flame to burn off the deposit.

http://www.aladdinlamps.info/burning.htm

Thanks John - I think you've solved the mystery! It's a fixed jet on the vapalux vapourizer, but it seems that over pumping can cause it to burn outside the mantle i.e not burn completely and I guess that might be causing sooting. I'll remember to pump it less next time... :eek:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I picked up several of these about three years ago, they had been in store since 1954, just cleaned off all the grease and lit up, fantastic lamps

I've kept two un-opened, with original top reflectors and spares kit, they are part of my 'just in case' kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE