A trio of Pressure Lamps [PIC HEAVY]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Well I needed to change the mantle on one of my Pressure lamps (Clas ohlson )
and thought it would be a good idea to take some pictures and do some testing of my collection...

I currently have

1 Tilly Stormlight
tilly1.jpg

2 Vapalux M320
oops forgot to take a photo of complete lamp

3 Clas Ohlson camping lamp (Billadin clone)
ohlson3.jpg

using the tilly and the vapalux to give some light to see by i attached the new mantle to the clas ohlson lamp (Billaddin 300cp mantle from base camp) and burnt it off outside (nasty smoke)

once I got it lit i took a few group shots of all three lanterns
3lamps.jpg

3lamps2.jpg

showing the virtually equal light output of all three although the clas ohlson one is a bit on the orange side for my liking.

compare this to a simple chinese mass produced wick lantern
lantern1.jpg

A few detail shots of the mantles...

tilly using tilly Happy mantle
tilly2.jpg

vapalux also using a tilly happy mantle (works fine and if it aint broke im not fixing it)
vapalux2.jpg

clas ohlson with its new billadin mantle
ohlson2.jpg

all lamps were running on standard paraffin
paraffin.jpg

and were preheated with meths (the blowtorch on the clas ohlson is rubbish)
meths_bottle.jpg

the bottle has a bent metal tube that makes filling the priming cups on both the vapalux and the clas ohlson much easier (also works on coleman lamps)

all photos were taken with my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone so excuse the quality, (the indoor shots were mainly with flash, none of the outdoor shots used flash)

[edit] Pics scalled to 700px and 80 quality, rotated pics rotated [/edit]

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Nice collection of different lamps you have going there, thanks for showing!

I just have a couple of Vapalux's as I lost out on a nice Tilley Guardsman the other day on ebay:( That's the Paraffin I use too in my pressure lamps and save my lamp oil for the Feuerhands.

I bought some Tilley164 H happy mantles to try in my 320's and found them to burn down to a larger ball size than the Vapalux one's and therefore give a bit less light, about 45-50 watts at a push by my reckoning. The original mantles burn down much smaller and are nearer the metal tube and glow a lot whiter giving nearer 60 watts of light.

Steve.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I agree about the larger ball size of the 164H mantles, but not aboiyt the light output. So much varies on these lamps that there could be something else affecting your light output.

Vapalux/bialaddin mantle on the left, Tilley 164H happy mantle on the right....

vapaluxm320_004.jpg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
dasy2k1, your images are absolutely huge (30 megabytes for 10 pictures is way too much). You should compress them a bit, they will kill people with slower connections. Make them 800 pixels wide with a medium compression. They will look the same, but will download 50 times faster.

http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

The image below is 77kb - your original is 3624kb (47 times larger) and there is no difference in quality.

Optimized-tilly1.jpg

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have 3 M320's and have Happy mantles on two of them and a Vapalux on the other. The two Happys burned down exactly like the OP's picture and the original is half the ball size. The two Happy's give out a yellow light and the other gives out a bright white light. I also noticed on one of the Happy's that on one side it is closer to the tube and glows much whiter than the other side?

Maybe the smaller whiter mantle is giving the same amount of light as the larger but yellower ones but to me it seems the Happy's are dimmer?

I wonder if how I arrange the mantles before burn-off affects the ball size?

Steve.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I have 3 M320's and have Happy mantles on two of them and a Vapalux on the other. The two Happys burned down exactly like the OP's picture and the original is half the ball size. The two Happy's give out a yellow light and the other gives out a bright white light. I also noticed on one of the Happy's that on one side it is closer to the tube and glows much whiter than the other side?

Maybe the smaller whiter mantle is giving the same amount of light as the larger but yellower ones but to me it seems the Happy's are dimmer?

I wonder if how I arrange the mantles before burn-off affects the ball size?

Steve.

Pass - I cant explain it. I have 2 vapalux and a bialaddin and the 164H mantles are good. Bright white not yellow. I went camping the other week and took 2 of em and a mate took his with a bialaddin mantle, it was about the same brightness when we compared.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE