Using coppiced hazel for making yurt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone

I'm new here - just bought an acre of woodland and in need of a bit of advice.

I am planning to build a yurt and am hoping to be able to use coppiced hazel for the framework. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions - firstly is hazel the right timber for the job (I hope so as I have got quite a lot of it!) and assuming the answer to that one is 'yes' could anyone suggest a good way of joining the rods to form a sort of trellis, which is how the side walls are traditionally constructed. I was considering using waxed hemp twine to lash them together but I'm not sure how strong or durable this would be, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Any other tips or advice on the subject of yurt making, particularly making the 'crown' from naturally harvested timber, and best materials for flooring will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Arfydoo

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
never made a yurt, but yes hazel will be awesome for the frame, the waxed string idea should be ok as the wax will keep it from rotting, you could also weave the hazel between upright wands, do this when its green and it should set in place, use some string just to make sure....

im sure another person will be along soon and some better advise...

anyway, welcome to the forum, and all the best with it Arfydoo and let us know how you get on....

regards.

chris.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Make sure we see some pics of your progress. I suppose an obvious problem would be that the hazel might take root, but then again that might be quite fun to watch. :)

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Some years ago a friend of mine spent 6 months on the Mongolian Steppes staying with the very hospitable local people in their felt domed dwellings, he even helped to prepare rolls of felt before horsemen raced off rolling the felt for miles. What he could not find out was why the people who live in these dwellings called them "Gurr" not "Yurt".

A year or so ago before I retired; I was chatting to the then Mongolian Ambassador I had an unusual job, I told the Ambassador the story, The Ambassador said Gurr is Mongolian, Yurt is Russian theway this was said it was clear which name he preferred. I understand that Yurt is actually Turkish from where the Russians picked it up

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Yurt is Russian theway this was said it was clear which name he preferred. I understand that Yurt is actually Turkish from where the Russians picked it up..."

The word does have turkish roots. The Hungarians arrived in Europe from Central Asia about a thousand years ago, they brought the yurt with them which they call 'Jurta'.

Although similar in appearance there are some design differences between the shelters used in Central Asia and the ones used in Mongolia, the Mongolian version is sturdier and I think generally lower to the ground. I suppose it has to be to put up with the weather up there.

Lots of folk still use 'Jurta' here although only a few live in them all year round usually in the Hungarian equivalent of the Welsh tipi valley.

:)

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Split hazel or thinner stems would work well. In the last yurt i stayed in the lattice work was made by holes drilled in the wood and it was all tied together with cord. :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
joeandyurt.jpg

we used nylon cord because it was cheap and strong, and drilled the sticks. The wood was roofing lats, but hazel would be good, I think. We used a jig to make sure all the holes were in the right places and the sticks were the same length, the cord isnt tight, just knotted at each end with a small bit of play that allows the wall to flex easily.

Thanks to everyone for these great suggestions and for such a warm welcome to the forum :)

I have checked out the links provided by Taffy63 and there is a wealth of info here so many thanks for those and all the other info/suggestions

I have cut quite a few hazel rods of varying lengths and widths, but I think if I split them they will be easier to join and it will mean they go further! I'm just hoping they will provide enough rigidity for the walls (although I think they need to have a certain amount of 'give' anyway) it's going to be a learning curve so will give it a go and see how I get on - will keep you posted!!!!

All the best

Arfydoo

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hazel will be plenty strong enough. It can be used to make a decent bow with so It's both strong and flexible. Ideally it should all be split for a yurt, both for ease of construction and as you say, you don't need to take as much from the trees :)

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I'm not so sure about using hazel, if you intend drilling holes to feed the cord through it may lead to the poles splitting.

If seasoned they would be stronger but knowing how easy it is to cleave hazel with a billhook it may be worth experimenting first to avoid disappointment.

Good luck with your project.

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
I spent a little time working with a yurt maker who'd just bought a hazel coppice and we found that those really lovely straight poles arent actually very straight at all. This makes them pretty much unuseable for the roof poles. Hope it goes well.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Very cool subject, I will be watching this thread and looking forward to your developments Arfydoo,
But sadly I do not have the wisdom to contribute with any advice.
And welcome to the forum ^^
yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE