Using A Tin Can As A Billy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Anyone know of any reason why I couldn't use a 'tin' can as a billy can (are they actually tin these days?)

I'm concerned that most tin cans used for food seem to have some kind of coating on the inside. This is obviously safe for storing food at room temperatures and slightly above, but is it the sort of material that whilst safe at lower temperatures may leach into water at temperatures approaching boiling?

If it does leach, is it a safe material or is it harmful if consumed? (I seem to recall reading somewhere years ago that you shouldn't scrape the contents out of tin cans with metal implements, I assume for fear of the lining getting into the food?)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Anyone know of any reason why I couldn't use a 'tin' can as a billy can (are they actually tin these days?)

I'm concerned that most tin cans used for food seem to have some kind of coating on the inside. This is obviously safe for storing food at room temperatures and slightly above, but is it the sort of material that whilst safe at lower temperatures may leach into water at temperatures approaching boiling?

If it does leach, is it a safe material or is it harmful if consumed? (I seem to recall reading somewhere years ago that you shouldn't scrape the contents out of tin cans with metal implements, I assume for fear of the lining getting into the food?)
I looked into this, and yes there is a risk, if your tin is dented, and the foods you are cooking in it are high in acid. Water should be ok
my old post

I think the best option is get a stainless steel coffee storage tin/jar from your local ‘everything for a pound type’ shop. Replace the plastic handle (if it has one) it wouldn't take much to make a wooden handle for it; drill a small hole away from the lid so the steam can get out. And keep that as your billy can Just use your tin can to make a hobo stove. Not what you were asking I know….

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One of the members here I have camped with a lot, uses big catering size cans for cooking in. They don't last forever, but they are free from your local friendly takeaway if you ask nice; drill two small holes in the side to take a pot bale made from a heavy wire coat hanger or bike brake cable.

The pound shop pots work OK if you don't need to make a lot of food, to be honest 2 pint pots are fine for a brew or heating beans, for real cooking 4 pint or more is my minimum (just my opinion). I like these pound shop pots and would happily use them if I could get the right sizes (4 pint ++ )

You could just buy something like this, a type I've used for 40 years

ebay item 260258516551

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
traditionally survival schools will use cans as billies and the americans use ground coffee tins for that purpose a tradition dating back to cowboys apparently.

I've used catering tins on survival courses and while they blacken inside and out especially is using seawater to cook with they do work.

anyone remembering joanna lumleys desert island survival program should have worked out that she used a couple of tin cans for cooking her rice and food in

and of course going by your location les hiddins uses tins for his water boiling and has done for years I reckon :)

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I've also been using catering sized baked bean / tinned tomato tins as billys for years. As said below, punch a couple of holes near the rim for a bail arm (I use metal coat hanger wire for the bail) and bob's your uncle. It's also easy to bend the rim to make a pouring "spout" with a pair of pliers.

Another benefit is that because the "billy" is made of relatively thin metal, very little heat from the fire is wasted in heating up the billy, rather than the contents. Thick foodstuffs (rice and the like) do tend to burn easily on the bottom, but water and watery stuff, like thin stews and soups are usually fine.

You can usually mump the empty cans from restaurants / cafes (or pick them out of the dustbins if you're not proud), or even buy the tins full of tomatoes or beans from your local cash & carry type mini-mart.

Watch out that you get the ones with the plain tinned interior though. Some of them come with a white, plasticised inner lining which melts over the fire making the tin useless for our purposes!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They can also save the day when you realise you are skint because you spent a load of money on a small Titanium pot that won't cook diddly in terms of a real meal and you are invited to a camp before payday ;)

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I used to often use SMA baby food tins (when the kids were babies) with a wire coathanger handle. Never had a any problems.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
"Tin" cans are steel. I think they were originally tinned steel, thus the name. (Tin is very soft.) Many have a galvinised coating to the inside, usually ones designed for acidic foods like tomatoes. You probably don't want to heat that stuff up; Google 'zinc poisoning' or 'metal fume fever'. We lost Pawpaw Wilson, a very good blacksmith who knew better, to it a few years ago.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"Tin" cans are steel. I think they were originally tinned steel, thus the name. (Tin is very soft.) Many have a galvinised coating to the inside, usually ones designed for acidic foods like tomatoes. You probably don't want to heat that stuff up; Google 'zinc poisoning' or 'metal fume fever'. We lost Pawpaw Wilson, a very good blacksmith who knew better, to it a few years ago.

Matt, how hot does the tin get in the canning process? Paw-Paw did suffer from emphysema by all accounts, and his encounter level with Zinc poisoning was much higher than any of us are likely to encounter using a food can to boil a little stew or some water for a brew?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE