US Army MRE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dino

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2006
Lowestoft, Suffolk
:confused: Any of you eaten MRE, if so what do you think of them are they better than the British Forces meals.

does any one know where you can get them cheap, apart from e-bay. :confused:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
MRE - meals refused by Ethiopians - not actually that bad. The brownies and pound cake are GOOD the omlet is OK if you need to re-sole your boots...
stick to the brit stuff which is better by far!

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
We used to swap our compo rations for MRE's in the first Gulf War..They are OK and make a change from the norm. The modern British compo ration pack with all the Boil in a bag stuff is probably comparable.
Oggie.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Others have said it all really, the MRE's make a change but are not really filling, the pound cake is very nice and I like the crackers, but to be honest the brit packs win in the end for me (and you can get them at £3.50 a pack now :) )

B

bluemountaingunworks

While fighting fire with the Forest Service, we subsisted on MRE's. Some are good; others are not so good. I'll eat just about anything, especially after a week on an incident and they were all just fine with me. The best, in my opinion, is the Chili Mac and Meatloaf with gravy. The ones I would place at the bottom of the list are the Captain's Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya. The Veggies are alright too. As far as components go, the pound cakes are top-notch as are the fruits. Of course this is all in relative terms. After awhile, you start to mix things up and come up with your own concoctions. Such as pineapple pound cake with a thick cocoa paste smeared on it. The jalapeno cheese spread was always a hot item and very valuable on the line. I have gotten everything from money to smokeless tobacco for my packages!
I have never had a British meal to compare it too, but I would assume they are all designed with the same premise-to provide troops with alot of calories, some variety, and decent palatability to boot.
As a side note, the MRE heaters are fun to play with. Break of a sizable chunk, stuff it down into a plastic water or soda bottle, add a little water, throw it, and wait for a loud report. I myself have had my fill of them and would only eat one as a last resort. But don't let that scare you! Have fun and God Bless! Jerry

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Dino said:
:confused: Any of you eaten MRE, if so what do you think of them are they better than the British Forces meals.

does any one know where you can get them cheap, apart from e-bay. :confused:

I survived on them for four months in 2003 - but only 3 flavours! There were 4 vegetarian menus available out of the 32 overall flavours but the Pasta Alfredo was gak. I thought they were OK in general (jalapeno cheese spread was excellent! ) - we just mixed and matched stuff and they were very convenient (self contained boil-in-the-bag). However, one of my abiding visual memories of Iraq during the war was brown MRE wrappers and plastic water bottles all over the landscape. Not nice...

Bizarrely though, I haven't had Brit rations since tinned cheese, baby's heads and biscuits brown.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Spikey DaPikey said:
Now that stuff IS good :approve: :notworthy

It was excellent for bargaining:

'I'll give you two bottles of water and tootsy roll for your jalapeno spread'
'Throw in your pound cake and you got a deal!'

Truly magnificent - the best thing in MREs but, disappointingly rare...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The last French rat pack I tried had no wine :( lots of tinned stuff though? The little bottles of wine were a bonus, anyone know when they stopped issuing them?

Best used to be Canadian IMP's
Swiss steak
cherry cake

mmmmmmmmmmm was a few years ago since i had some

Found this link still looks good now IMP's

MREs where nice but Brit was bettter tinned or Boil in the bag
just arctic Brit i didnt like :eek: trout pellets

the MRE bags used to be good to reuse and put kit in

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've eaten both.
and to be honest, you're better off with the uk rations.
the mre is one meal. the uk rat pack is one days food.
now i like mre's the ones i've had have been tasty, and i have a couple in my outdoor kit box (i carry one in my rucksack with a foil water pouch as emergency food. just add the water to make a hot meal. invaluable if you're cold, wet, and in trouble)

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Argentinian (circa 1982)Armed forces had seperate rations for officers, containing a mini bottle of whisky and cigarettes!! Never saw them in the field, but there was a container load of them in Port stanley. ALL rations taste good when you're hungry!

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have only had a few but like Stuart I found them a bit hit and miss and way to sweet for my tastes. I do like the accessory kits though with the mini Tabasco and I like the flameless heaters and they are a lot better value that wayfayrer hot packs. I have also got some British 24 hour ration packs but I not been out with them yet though and cannot see the point of eating them at home :D

I found this interesting article on line http://www.mreinfo.com/images/gallery-uk/article.jpg from 2004

The last three paragraphs about the future of the British pack are interesting:

" Brigadier Little said that each 24-hour pack provides around 4,000 calories, over the 3,600- calorie target in case a soldier dislikes an item,

The packs must have a shelf life of at least three years, be light enough to carry but strong enough to survive in battle. Under the new system, soldiers have meal 'modules' which can be torn off and stuck in webbing belt instead of a box full of packets and tubes to last them a day.

Freeze-dried or ready-to-boil meals will be swapped for minced meat bases that can be flavored with curry, chili or Bolognese sachets to offer more choice."

Nick123

Apr 4, 2007
The Netherlands
I got a few US MRE the other day. They are ok, the heater was working well, but not long enough to heat the rice/bean meal to boiling hot. Anyway, the tobasco was needed. Hardly any flavour.
I also go a few dutch 24h meal packs used for cold weather. They are good. Lots of goodies inside. Better than the US MRE's. I got them from a local dump store. He got a few from millitary guys offloading their stock after a training excercise.
I was wondering where I could get the UK or french rations. Anyone idea's?

roek44.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I love MREs... they're great for climbing trips and when i'm with mates who are munching squished cheese and pickle rolls and i'm eating some nice hot food, it makes me even happier!

I love the chilli cheese too... it melts in with whatever food you get very well.

I rarely get them though as they are a pain to come by.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE