Urgent News If You Want A Ventile Smock!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Sorry about the dramatics but, i've just been talking to the guy's at SASS and it turns out that they have some ventile material and will be making a bunch of smocks this week.

If you know anything about SASS then you will know that thier attention to detail is astounding, quality of workmanship is second to none and aftersales service is fantastic. They usually work in cotton gaberdine or ripstop but have got hold of a bolt and for one time only they will be doing an SAS smock in olive green ventile.

You want to know the price dont you, i can hear you from here! £130 plus p&p! thats all!

Remember, it's a limited amount of ventile, so get your orders in quick. I have no connection with the company, just that i've been using thier smocks for seventeen years and when i found out that they are going to use ventile (for a limited run) and found out the price, i stuck my order in without blinking.

This is their site http://sasskit.co.uk/ you will not be disappointed.

The ventile smock is not on their site, you have to phone them and order it, but if you look at their other stuff, you get the idea! :D :D :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well,

Not exactly one time only...my SASSKIT ventile smock is lovely...so is Sapacemonkeys! :D

They do seem to do a run once in a while - all of that said, they are fantastic gear and well worth the price!

Red

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Just to add to what Jedadiah has already said, I have one of these smocks in ventile and they are great, I've worn SASS kit for years and can't recommend them enough. No link etc etc.

Brian

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Ok BR, i'll take that one, i was talking to the guy up there this afternoon and he said that they had got hold of one bolt of Ventile and that was it after it had gone, he said they had already done some smock's, did you get your's recently?

Any road up, i just thought it was my responsibility to bring this to the attention of the Bushcraft community at large for their benifit, particularly as i've been reading some horror stories about other suppliers letting folks down and charging a bomb (dont worry, i dont want a medal) Did you go for the standard smock or something tastier? Any of the optional extra's?

But as BR says, well chuffed!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks mate for the heads up, I have just emailed my order to them but to make sure I will call them first thing in the morning!!:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I had a few extras - The hood retainer is a must for me, I also opted for an additional inside zip close pocket.

It wasn't a dig Jed, they are great value for money, but I suspect there will be another roll in a year or so. Its not really falsehood on their part, I think they just buy a roll or two when orders are slow.

Anyway, I love the coat, I have always like smocks with huge pockets. Scruffy and old fashioned - suits me down to the ground. Double layer over the shoulders on mine too which is a plus (and the elbows)

A real bargain - they do matching trousers too if you are flush (about £65)

Red

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'm not flush! I only phoned up because they have a olive green/field grey smock on their special offers section for £50. I got chatting to the bloke who explained that the list is out of date and they had bought some bankrupt stock ventile with some sewing machines and before i knew it i was £130 worse off!!

Still, you dont often come across quality workmanship at that price.

I got a Kit Karry smock MK5 from them a fair few years ago and it has never let me down. It stinks of woodsmoke and Nikwax cotton proof and it's faded and taty but i love it more than any other cloth cat (Bagpuss reference). Anyway that was followed by a Recon smock and that too is a joy to use.

Talking of top quality workmanship...........oh, that can wait for another time!

No offence taken BR, accepted in the spirit it was offered!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
...like me. I seem to be the only one who thought to order matching trousers.. ;)
recently they got some tan cloth that was supplied by some US special forces group for a special order, and they made some smocks from this too. My friend has one and it appears to be a lightweight ventile too.

Just remember to order everything one size smaller than usual...

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
addyb said:
The standard SASS smock, the non-ventile gabardine or ripstop model. It's showerproof, correct?

No, i'm afraid it is'nt. The whole idea about the gaberdine smocks is it's light weight, so it get's wet however, because of it's light weight and relative 'thinness' it dries out very quickly.

Some of us use a product by a company called Nikwax, they do 'cotton proof'. You can wash your smocks in their 'Tech Wash' to remove detergent traces, then wash in cotton proof. Then subsequent washs with Tech wash removes dirt but not the protective cotton proof.

Personally, i wash the first time with tech wash, then wash it three times on the trot with cotton proof to give it a good foundation. Then every five washs (in tech wash) i wash it in cotton proof again to maintain the proofing. It really does improve the repelancy though i have to say this is not to be done on ventile smocks.

I was 'out' in some very wet weather for about a week earlier this year in my proofed SASS Kit Karry smock and never felt the need to dig out the gortex. I have to add that i also proof my trousers, jungle hat, wooly hat (using polar proof), gloves (using glove proof) Boots (using aqueous wax) and under pants (using skiddy proof).

Sorry, couldnt resist, i was kidding about the underpants!

All those products are by Nikwax and i have no connection with the company apart from helping to subsidise their christmas function by buying (all) their products! :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jedadiah said:
No, i'm afraid it is'nt. The whole idea about the gaberdine smocks is it's light weight, so it get's wet however, because of it's light weight and relative 'thinness' it dries out very quickly.

Some of us use a product by a company called Nikwax, they do 'cotton proof'. You can wash your smocks in their 'Tech Wash' to remove detergent traces, then wash in cotton proof. Then subsequent washs with Tech wash removes dirt but not the protective cotton proof.

Personally, i wash the first time with tech wash, then wash it three times on the trot with cotton proof to give it a good foundation. Then every five washs (in tech wash) i wash it in cotton proof again to maintain the proofing. It really does improve the repelancy though i have to say this is not to be done on ventile smocks.

I was 'out' in some very wet weather for about a week earlier this year in my proofed SASS Kit Karry smock and never felt the need to dig out the gortex. I have to add that i also proof my trousers, jungle hat, wooly hat (using polar proof), gloves (using glove proof) Boots (using aqueous wax) and under pants (using skiddy proof).

Sorry, couldnt resist, i was kidding about the underpants!

All those products are by Nikwax and i have no connection with the company apart from helping to subsidise their christmas function by buying (all) their products! :D

Jesus mate you must have shares in Nikwax:lmao:
Well I spoke to SASS today and have ordered my smock it will be with me in a couple of weeks, Great I can't wait!!
Thanks again for the heads up!

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Just got off the phone from SASS and all I can say is that if their products are a good as their customer service I will be very happy. I spoke to a fella called Paul who was excellent and was able to advise me on sizing (based on my unusual shape ;) ) and gave me the full background on how the garment is cut and made. I was also informed that they are now down to about 80 metres (excluding the order I have just placed) so if you are still debating I wouldn't leave it too much longer ;)

Big thanks to Jedadiah for the heads up, I suspect you have made quite a few people here very happy :You_Rock_

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hey Greg and Silverback, good to hear you've taken the plunge, an opportunity not to be missed at that price and quality.

Paul is a top fella, talk's the hind leg's off a donkey, but he's got the knowledge and skill, he know's!

Did you get a forecast for delivery?

Silverback, you said 'your unusual build', is that really a pic of you in your Avtar? :yelrotflm

Did you go for any of the optional extra's? No, i don't mean banana pockets. ;)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Jedadiah said:
Hey Greg and Silverback, good to hear you've taken the plunge, an opportunity not to be missed at that price and quality.

Paul is a top fella, talk's the hind leg's off a donkey, but he's got the knowledge and skill, he know's!

Silverback, you said 'your unusual build', is that really a pic of you in your Avtar? :yelrotflm

Nope not me in the avatar but I am a competitive powerlifter so am broad at the shoulder, deep in the chest, narrow at the waist and thick quads so I tend to have a little trouble with off the peg garments and very few places do XXXL as standard :rolleyes:

I was told a couple of weeks I think and I went for the zipped inner pocket, double tabs on the hood and double d rings as extras. The shoulders and elbows are double thickness as standard and there is a large poachers pocket to the rear essentially making that section double thickness as well - can't wait :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yes I went for the hood retainer and an extra inside map pocket, I also sorted my order out with Paul and he even asked me what side I wanted the map pocket, very good customer service. He told me mine would be made with next weeks batch and then sent out so I expect it in approx 2 weeks, I can't wait I have been after a ventile smock for years, but just haven't been able to warrant spending £200 -£300. So I jumped at the chance and this one has only cost me £146.49 Bargain!!!:D

Thanks again Jedadiah!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Jedadiah said:

You should have seen his original avatar! This one is cuddlier. :lmao: (No offence there big fella :eek: ). But if you trawl back through the welcomes, Silverbacks is worth a read Jed.

BTW I am well hacked off that this has come about just 4 hours after I've spent £500 on brakes for both our cars :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE