Urban Fatigue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I'm off sea fishing again, going to camp out at a spot that I know where there is a spring for fresh water and greater reedmace. Not taking any food with me so to eat I've got to forage for seaweed, shellfish and roots etc.

Shame i've got to take my tablets as well or I'd get tempted to stay there permanently.

will let you know how I get on once I'm back on monday.

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Hope the trip goes well and you get that 'good glow' which lasts for a few days after your return.
You can't beat a nice fresh meal from the sea ! I spent a few nights Bass fishing this year on my local beach. Fresh Bass cooked over an open fire just after dusk on a warm summers evening ...mmmm.

This is my first post but I've been following the forum for a while now so guess I need to get stuck in. We'll all be interested to hear what you found to eat and how you prepared it. Good luck

Kev

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
R-Bowskill How did the trip go? :confused:

we in Norwich haven't seen or heard of you for ages!
please contact BCUK
or PM/phone/E-mail one of us to let us know you're OK! :(
My e-mail adress is: RAPPLEBY2000@yahoo.co.uk
we miss you at the meet ups!!
cheers Rory!
Rich ;)

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
R-Bowskill said:
I've been off these boards for a while becaise of health problems including having a run in with half a dozen 'hoodies' at work that meant a visit to the hospital. I'm recovering OK but the person I'm seeing for counselling has suggested that I'm suffereing from 'urban fatigue' ie I've been in the city for too long and it's not good for me.

My doctor recceomends I get a fair bit of excersize and eat as well as I can, so that means I'm under doctors orders to get out and do some bushcraft whenever I can. Wish they'd give me a prescription for doing a couple of courses on the NHS.

Do any others notice the health benefits of bushcraft, especially as a form of stress relief?

Totally!!! :) :D :) Dont let the barstools grind you down :cool:

Matt.

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
In answer to your question, god yes!

I have a stressful life, but I DO eat well, esp since becoming a diabetic. I am lucky in that my place of work is right on the edge of the city so I can and generally do go for a couple of mile walk at lunchtime. The afternoons are so much better for it. Healthy body, healthy mind, healthy mind... its good to be alive!
I shoot and am now starting the bushcraft path after taking a course with Woodsmoke. Being outdoors and away from the concrete jungle puts life in perspective.

When I used to work in london (4yrs), i used to travel by train, i'd get home to Maghull and walk 4 miles with my case/holdall down the leeds liverpool canal observing nature, just to blow away the stench and cobwebs of metropolice life.

Take care mate, and get a new angle on life, and not the false life people seem to put up with.

W

WERDNA

R-Bowskill said:
I've been off these boards for a while becaise of health problems including having a run in with half a dozen 'hoodies' at work that meant a visit to the hospital. I'm recovering OK but the person I'm seeing for counselling has suggested that I'm suffereing from 'urban fatigue' ie I've been in the city for too long and it's not good for me.

My doctor recceomends I get a fair bit of excersize and eat as well as I can, so that means I'm under doctors orders to get out and do some bushcraft whenever I can. Wish they'd give me a prescription for doing a couple of courses on the NHS.

Do any others notice the health benefits of bushcraft, especially as a form of stress relief?
i have arthuritis and iritabl bowl, i do get in quit a bit of pain when bushcrafting, but i dont let it stop me doing anything, i am self employed and stuck in a factory all week so i like nothing beter than geting out into the woods at weekend, on the weekends i dont get out i feel really down, its such a pick up for me,

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Bowskill, hope you're getting yourself well, now with plenty of time in amongst the green stuff!
You're right it is very relaxing, just being outside, i spend all day behind one of these screens, either typing out emails and reports, or designing stuff for more cars i can't afford, or don't want to buy! So it's great to go and have a wander around my local wood, or even during lunchtimes just wandering for 1/2 hour along the Taff trail (near work)!

Chin up, and get yourself back in the green :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
WERDNA said:
i have arthuritis and iritabl bowl, i do get in quit a bit of pain when bushcrafting
IBS is a right swine thats what has stopped me hiking, its not the distance but the right pain of finding somewhere quiet to "go" at short notice :sigh:

Fortunatley most of the places where I go to the woods have toliets within 10 minutes walk and strangely enough I find I don't need to go except the odd :censored: behind a bush if I have been drinking loads of water on a hot day

I am convinced that for the right person bushcraft is a major stress relief, my wife would hate it, but its so far away from the trappings of modern life that all the crud just floats off.

I even adjust my phone to only ring from SWMBO's mobile and silent from everybody else :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE