There be V8s in them there woods!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm willing to bet mine's as long as a common housecat's tail. But! you have to measure them both the same way; from the A$$h#le to the end.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
LOL ! hell mate i'm not sure which one would be worse !!

To measure correctly, one end of the tape will be secured with a thumb tack, you decide which end :)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What a great way to destroy a woodland....well done !

Well said.

I've no problem boys playing with toys on a designated 'off road' tracks but a lot of the 4 x 4 crew just pee me off with damage they do. A couple of local land owners started to block their tracks with boulders, nothing big but enough to damage vehicles driven by knobs who thought they 'knew the track'. One driver had to leave his vehicle overnight and when he returned the landy had gone, he even accused the landowner of stealing it! The landy was never found and no charges either side were pressed:cool:

On proper tracks designed to be messed up fine, the idiots who seem to think it fine to rip up a field or tracks need :AR15firin I'm sure the OP's track was all kosher and above board.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
20 to the gallon off road? I wish my truck got that much. It's only a common 2WD and it gets (at best) 20 miles per UK gallon on the highway without a load.

But your point is taken. At least up to a point. I've seen the vast damage that those horses you mention can do to the natural environment too. And even hikers wearing trails into the ground causing erosion. Anything can be taken to excess.

Dump your motor and get a nice Japanese 'truck', very reliable and easier on the 'gas' a nice Toyota perhaps;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Dump your motor and get a nice Japanese 'truck', very reliable and easier on the 'gas' a nice Toyota perhaps;)

There's some truth to that Rik. When I bought the Dodge, I was shopping for a Toyota. But it was just to much more expensive and the mileage difference wasn't really that great (I was looking at a full sized Toyota Tundra) And TBH the reliability on the Dodge has been great; over 160,000 so far with no major problems, 4 doors and seating for six adults when I take out the baby seat. At the time (7 years ago) Toyota still didn't have a twin cab in their half ton (at least not locally)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Well said.

I've no problem boys playing with toys on a designated 'off road' tracks but a lot of the 4 x 4 crew just pee me off with damage they do. A couple of local land owners started to block their tracks with boulders, nothing big but enough to damage vehicles driven by knobs who thought they 'knew the track'. One driver had to leave his vehicle overnight and when he returned the landy had gone, he even accused the landowner of stealing it! The landy was never found and no charges either side were pressed:cool:

On proper tracks designed to be messed up fine, the idiots who seem to think it fine to rip up a field or tracks need :AR15firin I'm sure the OP's track was all kosher and above board.
So that'll be a message of support for those who join clubs and promote responsible offroading then. Good O! Always nice to know folk are reading the originating thread and not simply jumping on a bandwagon according to their personal agendas ;)

Most of the field ragging round here is done by cars playing Drift King.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Back to the OP, looks like you had a great time and you got some great photos there. :)

Would love to try off road driving one day properly, took an M38A1 down to the beach once for 10 mins but not really anything to difficult.
I'm embaressed to say that I had to google M38A1.... it was worth it though, what a super old gal! It was a good day, thank you- much as I'd love to take it up again, I can't justify it financially so it answered some questions :) It was a damn good walk up hill and down dale too, except for the places I slid on all fours!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Kept on reservations I have no problem with rampaging 4x4s but my own personal bit of walking heaven, The Wiltshire and Berkshire Ridgeway, was in a fair way to being destroyed by them and, to be fair, farm vehicles. Not have been back for a while I don't know if new codes of conduct have made any difference. Plus all of this for the effects of trail motorbikes.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Great report and pics, Sal - sounds like a great time had by all, on private property being properly managed.

As for the rest of it, can't be doing with all these 100%ers - you know - "98% of public footpaths closed to motorised vehicles, but we want the other 2% as well" brigade, allied to the "just because you own it, doesn't mean I can't tell you how to run it" militia............

Jun 17, 2013
mid yorkshire
as most footpaths were intended for people to walk to church, or to work, I suppose he thinks they should be closed too,
BANANA?
sounds like this is a designated training/practice area? that way when the world stops due to 2 inch of snow, the 4x4 volunteers can get essential services around.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
...sounds like this is a designated training/practice area? that way when the world stops due to 2 inch of snow, the 4x4 volunteers can get essential services around.
A lot of the lads were busy this winter and made a lot of folk breathe easy- rescuing fools, mostly ;)

Welcome to BCUK, Bobt :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Good man :) As rural dwellers, we see how much help 4x4 folk give in this area, never mind the haters... you're (we're) all very much appreciated by the old folk who wouldn't get fed/ to hospital appointments/ need pulling out of a ditch themselves etc, even if they're too flustered to remember to say :)

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
It's a very English thing this "out-ragged from Derby" thing, in most other parts of Europe or Northern US most folks wouldn't bat an eyelid at off-roaders enjoying the countryside.

Yet us Brit's seem to get our knickers in a twist except when these vehicles are used to save us after a fall.

Funny thing is the same out-ragged people are often the ones that are leaving scorched fire pits over the countryside, dropping litter, or starting camp fires in seasons they shouldn't in areas they shouldn't.

If one area is overused then it will deteriorate quickly, if it's muddy it gets even worse.
But then take a look at a farm in areas livestock trample, take a look at a field being ploughed, even before us humans graced this planet how much erosion do you think Dinosaurs caused.

Our planet is a finite thing it WILL be destroyed, be it asteroid, sun burning out, the big rip, super volcano or what ever other theory floats your boat, there will be a day the earth is no more, so why not live and let live and enjoy it while we can.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
And before you say i don't understand etc etc etc..............let me tell you, i competed in long distance cross country trials for many years until i saw and understood the awfull destruction caused just for your selfish enjoyment.

as i said before................well done !!
well as long as you had your fun eh....

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Love a good V8 and a diesel even more. Thanks for posting that up Turbogirl! Looks like a great day out. I don't see anything wrong with off roading when it's done on dedicated sites, an old quarry seems perfect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE