Upsidedown fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Hi all , last year I was experimenting with the upside down fire. Basically it's a fire that relies on a sizeable amount of wood on the bottom and the fire burns down through the wood not the usual pile it on top method.
I've done it a few times with an overnight fire but I was out this morning and thought I'd do a small version for the few hours I was out.
First a row of 4" logs then two split logs on top then a row of 1/4 splits then even it up with some 1/8 splits, fire on top and let it burn through, I hardly touched the fire in 3 hours just to push the unburnt ends in.
It's an excellent low maintenance fire lay.
Here's some pictures taken an hour appart.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Am I the only one who can see just one picture? :(

Picture I can see though looks like a cracking start for a fire... reminds me of that auto feed fire posted up a few months back.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Can see them now... thats one well used billy can you have there!

Question... what changes do you need to make to keep it in overnight? Just a bigger fire, or is there a different way of stacking it?

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Over night would be bigger timber stacked higher.
You would need to push it in at the later stages of the burn.
I'm going to try the two big log over night fire this winter.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You seem to have stacked the timber all in the same direction... does it burn at the same rate if it is crossed? Sort of like a funeral pyre.

Worth a play about with though... I fancy trying the long fire as well... the lads up in Scotland made one when I was there, it was a proper heat producer.

Chui

Feb 18, 2010
London
Hey Rob - long time no speak, trust you're well..!

Love it........the thought of the fire glowing through nicely all night is wonderful too.

Reminds me a wee bit of the 8-cut vertical log fire too

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Cross it for a bigger fire. I'm sure I have a photo of a bigger one somewhere.
I'm well Chui, hope you're good aswell mate.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
This is one I tried, 3hr burn and almost no maintenance.

1667.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Awesome fire, mine lasted 3 hours and it was a lot smaller than yours, did you have a draft blowing it so it burnt quicker?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE