UnderQuilt help -Army bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Well got the two holes cut and tried hanging it. Looks ok at the moment but my bag isnt long enough really.
Mines the medium bag with 3/4 zip.
I cut my hole in the footbox at the bottom so i still had room above for my feet. Will do a pic to show it.
At the top i have gone through the hood 3-4 inches from the rim of the hood.

Next job is to get in and someone to tension the top and bottom with bungee ropes mine will possibly zip up 3/4 of the way up to keep my head out. Gonna put a toggle on elastic to keep the zip from opening on its own.

If i can get the bigger bag i will be able to use my summer bag inside it for double insulation.

Anyway gonna do my pics now.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
P1000423.jpg

P1000422.jpg

P1000421.jpg

P1000420.jpg

P1000419.jpg

it looks saggy at the top but when its pulled up around you it takes the sag our of it.
also with it not being load bearing it souldnt stress the stitching too much and top and bottom will
be tensioned with bungee..

I cant get in it as its only hung on door handles so need to test it tomorrow properly..

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Maybe but dont want it pulled right up to my chin. Where i have put the hole through at the head end actually allows a bit more spread for around my chest. If it dont work as a cocoon it should be fine as a full sized underquilt.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Think i might sack the idea due to the packed size of the bag. Going to make enquiries about getting one made and down filled. Might not be realistic due to cost though.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I did a couple of these for me and ma youngling.... although the last few meets, I've been using both on my hammock and leaving him with dad and the central heating ;) I chopped off the 'hat' (and made it into a hat, tis verrrrry snuggly round the fire before bed! ) (Thread is at http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81692 ) and the leftover shoulder bungee was left on to tighten the end. I removed the zip, took the opening to the end, seamed a bungee carrying sleeve in and created a circle of bungee that sits in the carabinas both ends- They hold the edges high up the sides which is handy in wind and it can be slid up the bungees so it sits neatly round the shoulders.

Now I've learned to use em effectively I'm delighted but I don't walk far so am not weight focussed :) I do find they can pick up spray mist on wet windy nights, dunno if that would compromise a down filling....

Last edited:

Roy

Nov 19, 2008
Liverpool
Well i have just cut the one slot in the center of the foot end and plan on leaving the zip to use as a cocoon or pea pod.
I will have to work out a pull/adjusting cord suspension for the head end as it will have to slid underneath once i am in the hammock. The hood will lay underneath the hammock.This way i can stll use it as a conventional bag as well when ground dwelling,although i will have to stuff the bottom hole with a hat or something.
Of to the Lakes at the week end canoeing and wild camp so will get some pics of set up then.

Roy

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Well i have just cut the one slot in the center of the foot end and plan on leaving the zip to use as a cocoon or pea pod.
I will have to work out a pull/adjusting cord suspension for the head end as it will have to slid underneath once i am in the hammock. The hood will lay underneath the hammock.This way i can stll use it as a conventional bag as well when ground dwelling,although i will have to stuff the bottom hole with a hat or something.
Of to the Lakes at the week end canoeing and wild camp so will get some pics of set up then.

Roy

If you still want to use it as a ground bag as well, my mock-up shows a way...

foot end..
dossbag 1.jpg

head end...dossbag2.jpgdossbag3.jpg

Simply a loop of webbing to reinforce the shoulder of the bag, loops on the ends for bungees etc,
Velcro inside the loop, to allow the transformation from cocoon to standard bag. The cone shape of ripstop with drawstring seals off the draught.
With a crafty bit of sewing you could hide the whole thing inside, just the bungee loops poking out of each shoulder.

How did it go with your test run?

Roy

Nov 19, 2008
Liverpool
I used mine at the wkend with just the slot cut in the bottom. As i have difficulty bending my knees i had the bag pulled down towards the foot end while i got in then i rigged a pulley system which enabled me to pull it under my head and shoulders. Worked a treat and kept me snug. My mate has a video which i think he may post here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?34352-1st-wild-wild-camp-of-2012-D. Its not up yet but its a good blog any way.

Roy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE