UK Bowhunting laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

otpayne

Jun 25, 2011
CHCH
sorry for such a late reply to this topic, just bought a bow and was refered here by the lovely ppl of the forums i think i have just one comment to add.... this country sucks
maybe like ppl that want 6 wives (now theres a thought ) there is a religion i can join that would permit bow hunting ,fishing for free wherever the hell i wanted, wandering rights, camping rights, hunting rights etc. you no it only takes about 200 ppl to form a recognised religion dont you ?
any one fancy being a vicar of.... the church of the latter day primatives

well it seemd a good idea when i was typing it :lmao:

It doesn't need a religion....its a country called New Zealand...apart from the 6 wives thing....conservation land to hunt on for free...bow hunting legal, practically free fishing all over the country, miles of wilderness to camp in....most kind of game animals have been naturalised......

Come on over....its great....
:):)

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There is also a British Bow hunters association !!!! :confused: :rolleyes:

so there is and they say

"Hunting with the bow and arrow was prohibited in the UK in 1965. In the most up-to-date Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 its legal status remains unchanged. Modern Bowhunting however, continues to develop and to be employed effectively alongside, and often as an alternative to firearms in many parts of the world, including the EU, as part of existing wildlife management and conservation initiatives. The BBA believes that modern Bowhunting would make a valuable contribution to existing UK wildlife management and conservation programs and regional economies, should legislation be reintroduced. "

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I still find it strange that the land of Robin Hood, the country that made the long bow a feared military weapon, is so down on bow hunting.

Someone should clue your members of parliament on just how effective modern bow hunting gear really is.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I still find it strange that the land of Robin Hood, the country that made the long bow a feared military weapon, is so down on bow hunting.

Someone should clue your members of parliament on just how effective modern bow hunting gear really is.
I'd rather they didn't.
We are a cramped and small island with very little large game. People who want a challenge hunting can use air rifles (very few restrictions on those). Air rifles have the wonderful property of being very short-range. The 'dangerous' range is much shorter than the distance a pellet can travel.
An arrow from even a 25lb bow can glance off a branch, 'spoing' on for another 50yards and be lethal at the maximum distance it can travel.

If bowhunting is reinstated, it won't be long before people realize just how much damage an arrow can do. Then some idiot hooligans will shoot up cars or worse. Then licensing and restrictions on bows will be introduced . . .

No thank you, keep things how they are.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I'd rather they didn't.
We are a cramped and small island with very little large game. People who want a challenge hunting can use air rifles (very few restrictions on those). Air rifles have the wonderful property of being very short-range. The 'dangerous' range is much shorter than the distance a pellet can travel.
An arrow from even a 25lb bow can glance off a branch, 'spoing' on for another 50yards and be lethal at the maximum distance it can travel.

If bowhunting is reinstated, it won't be long before people realize just how much damage an arrow can do. Then some idiot hooligans will shoot up cars or worse. Then licensing and restrictions on bows will be introduced . . .

No thank you, keep things how they are.

Would it not cover the worst of the ejit paradox by needing a license to hunt with a bow and arrow? Like most countries where you pass a yearly competence test before they will issue you a ticket for the year. But, they dont require a license for just using a bow for sport.
I have no horse in this race to be fair as I am a useless hunter and an even worse archer.
I think we have plenty of large game infact too many in some areas to the point they are becoming a problem. I would also wager that an arrow would not travel as far as a rick -o- shay from a high powered rifle. Although I have seen arrows do some extraordinary things when glancing the intended target.
For use with smaller game I imagine using blunts would still be a little hit and miss. Yes pretty much any hit would cause a lot of damage but only a good head-shot on things like bunnies would guarantee not spoiling the meat.

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
What would you hunt in England? Urban Foxes! The idea of a deadly missile popping out of any random group trees up and down the country as any fool thinks he can beat the local supermarket meat prices beggars belief. How many would take the trouble to learn even the most basic skills before setting out to lose all 20 deadly, easy to replace on ebay, arrows. Every Jack the Lad will be trying to bring down “Sunday lunch” on the wing, if not hunting for venison in the local 10 tree park.

Sorry but in this crowded island its just a non starter

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wonder why we think that the UK population are so much less trustworthy than that of Australia and the US?

I know we are crowded, but so are areas there, and they have hunting seasons, hunting licenses etc. Why would the UK population be so much less law abiding than those of other countries? Are we less trustworthy? Sure we are crowded but we allow hunting with rifles, shotguns even spear guns...why are bows so much worse I wonder?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The favourite weapon for the deer poacher is a cross-bow, silent and deadly. The fact that it is illegal does not stop the poacher using one, same as bow hunting.
Same laws would still apply, yearly proficiency based licensing (fees could be used wisely), permission to hunt required by law as it is now.
Properly regulated I dont see a problem. We have to separate the ejits that will ignore the law regardless and the legitimate bow hunters.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Interesting debate - again!

I'm a professional stalker and DSC ( deer stalking certificate ) trainer amongst other things. In my teens I was a very keen competitive archer and competed in target competition at County level, I still use a bow recreationally.

Without driving Toddy round the twist with a firearm debate rehash, it is amusing ( if I wasn't laughing I'd have to weep ) how demonised firearms are and bows aren't in the UK. Both have a long history with a social and warfare setting. In my target days, one of my club's leased ground just inside a town park and we practised regularly with park users wandering past. Couldn't see the same happening for an air rifle/ pistol club - despite the relatively lethality levels. Nowt as queer as folk!

Exactly how projectiles 'kill' is the subject of ongoing and heated debate. Whilst that point is under argument any discussion of the humane use of an arrow to take deer type quarry is going to be fraught.

However, reference to US oriented follow-up/ tracking works highlights a different approach between rifle bullet and arrow strikes. I do not have enough direct experience with arrow strikes to comment forcefully, but extrapolating from those works - presumably based on the experience I lack - is that the target is significantly more likely to be lost - whether dead or non -swiftly fatally injured.

Regardless of the 'terminal ballistic science', the weight of opposition - directed and by default apathy against all fieldsports is huge. The organised counter to such opposition is frankly non-existent and even established, demonstrably ethical techniques are under constant attack.

Into that mix the prospect of bows being re-introduced as methods of taking live quarry is minute if not the very definition of wholly misplaced optimism! Not only will the anti and the status quo oppose it - the resultant focus on just how 'advanced' bow technology has become ( Hopolophobia rules remember ) will be very unwelcome by the bow target and field archery fraternity - who will very likely suddenly find themselves the focus of very negative legislative attention.

Ultimately a good and adept hunter with bow or rifle will achieve humane kills. In reality to achieve a level of field competency with both takes effort and an equal level within the sensible constraints of a bow about 20 times the effort required by a modern rifle. The gap between self perceived level of skill and actual is worringly huge in all human endeavours. This will be no different - aside from 'Bambi' wandering about with 24" of Easton XX75 shaft sticking from 'her' ( sic ) side on the 6 O'clock news to the detriment of all.

Those keen to stand and fight for a cause may wish to look at 'Dangerous Dogs', Knives and if you are crossing into Scotland those trendy survival snares you may have in that E bay survival kit then decide which piece of legislation to start with.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
e from 'Bambi' wandering about with 24" of Easton XX75 shaft sticking from 'her' ( sic ) side on the 6 O'clock news to the detriment of all.
I grew up in a country that allows bowhunting and have done my share, mostly on small game.

Your quoted sentence is a problem I fear. A few instances of it on the news and legislation will suddenly follow, making life difficult for target archers and hunters.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Interesting debate - again!

I'm a professional stalker and DSC ( deer stalking certificate ) trainer amongst other things. In my teens I was a very keen competitive archer and competed in target competition at County level, I still use a bow recreationally.

Without driving Toddy round the twist with a firearm debate rehash, it is amusing ( if I wasn't laughing I'd have to weep ) how demonised firearms are and bows aren't in the UK. Both have a long history with a social and warfare setting. In my target days, one of my club's leased ground just inside a town park and we practised regularly with park users wandering past. Couldn't see the same happening for an air rifle/ pistol club - despite the relatively lethality levels. Nowt as queer as folk!

Exactly how projectiles 'kill' is the subject of ongoing and heated debate. Whilst that point is under argument any discussion of the humane use of an arrow to take deer type quarry is going to be fraught.

However, reference to US oriented follow-up/ tracking works highlights a different approach between rifle bullet and arrow strikes. I do not have enough direct experience with arrow strikes to comment forcefully, but extrapolating from those works - presumably based on the experience I lack - is that the target is significantly more likely to be lost - whether dead or non -swiftly fatally injured.

Regardless of the 'terminal ballistic science', the weight of opposition - directed and by default apathy against all fieldsports is huge. The organised counter to such opposition is frankly non-existent and even established, demonstrably ethical techniques are under constant attack.

Into that mix the prospect of bows being re-introduced as methods of taking live quarry is minute if not the very definition of wholly misplaced optimism! Not only will the anti and the status quo oppose it - the resultant focus on just how 'advanced' bow technology has become ( Hopolophobia rules remember ) will be very unwelcome by the bow target and field archery fraternity - who will very likely suddenly find themselves the focus of very negative legislative attention.

Ultimately a good and adept hunter with bow or rifle will achieve humane kills. In reality to achieve a level of field competency with both takes effort and an equal level within the sensible constraints of a bow about 20 times the effort required by a modern rifle. The gap between self perceived level of skill and actual is worringly huge in all human endeavours. This will be no different - aside from 'Bambi' wandering about with 24" of Easton XX75 shaft sticking from 'her' ( sic ) side on the 6 O'clock news to the detriment of all.

Those keen to stand and fight for a cause may wish to look at 'Dangerous Dogs', Knives and if you are crossing into Scotland those trendy survival snares you may have in that E bay survival kit then decide which piece of legislation to start with.

Excellent post.

I agree there is no chance of it ever happening in the UK, if not just because there would not be sufficient numbers to organise the objection, add to that no political party would ever back the bill.

The bow hunter usually wants to get within 15-20 yards of his/her quarry before taking the shot which they will have practised day in and day out before the season starts. Their kit will be perfectly tuned and them too in-tune with their gear.
I haven't the patience to sit and wait with a rifle for the bunnies to come out, nevermind practising daily with a bow to be sure of a kill . I usually end up whittling a spoon or looking up a new plant in a book whilst the quarry goes about its business 5 feet away.

A friend once asked if I could make a "survival bow" in a survival situation quickly. I said no, but I would probably be found dead months later with a perfectly carved and tiller bow next to an emaciated body.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
A friend once asked if I could make a "survival bow" in a survival situation quickly. I said no, but I would probably be found dead months later with a perfectly carved and tiller bow next to an emaciated body.

love it :D

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Even if you cannot legally hunt with a bow, IMHO, being skilled with a bow and arrow is far too important of a survival skill from many aspects to not learn this. It's also fun.

I've always preferred a more traditional style of bow, long bow or recurve, due to the fact that you can use a wooden arrow, unlike a modern pully style compound bow. You can make then, and personally, I like the way they fly. There are several styles of primitive arrow manufacture you can practice using both natural and scavenged materials. So, for the primitive craftsman looking for new frontiers to explore, manufacturing arrows and bow strings presents a whole new basket of opportunities.

I'm a certified firearms and an archery instructor in Texas where deer hunting is a serious affair, and bow hunting gives an extra season. One thing I can say as an archery instructor is that it's a skill that you need to learn far in advance of when it's needed. Getting good with a bow takes a while. You do this simply by repetition and lots of target practice, both stationary and moving.

If you are a primitive skills craftsman, focus initially on making the arrows and the strings, not the bow. Making a bow that isn't just a temporary, disposable quick fix is a serious project and requires a lot of skill and experience to get right. You will most likely screw up the first few you make. In fact, one of the oldest bow samples ever recovered was found in the UK in a bog and it was tossed into the bog because the maker screwed it up and it broke. Otzi, the Iceman, if I recall, was still in the process of making a new bow when he died. It's not something that even those with skill and experience do quickly.

Amongst the stone age tribes of North America, one of the budding cottage industries amongst some tribes was making bows which they would sell to other tribes. An example of this were the Yakima tribe and their lightweight laminated bows that used sinew and glue made from human spit and fish bladders for the lamination. These bows were in high demand from other tribes.

So, what I'd recommend is to get a bow that is premade, either a long bow or a recurve, and then practice making both the arrows and the strings using primitive skills. A good bow made with modern materials can last a long time, but the strings get worn and the arrows get used up, lost, broken, etc. These, however, you can make a lot easier than making the bow itself.

I'd look seriously at a take down bow simply due to ease of stowage and transport. Unless you are fighting a battle against armored knights, you don't need an incredibly powerful bow to get the job done. Arrows kill by hemmoraging anyway, and you need to be able to comfortably shoot it to get good with it.

Some neat bows are the folding bows from Primal Archery. They quickly fold out for stringing, or fold up to a compact 23 inches (58cm) long. The staves are replaceable for either repair or to change the strength of the pull.

http://www.goprimalnow.com/

For those that don't already know this, you should never fire a wooden arrow out of a pully style compound bow as the arrow can sometimes shatter upon string release. This can result in horrific injuries, specifically to your hand holding the bow. A friend of mine, who knew better, did this repeatedly and after a while he wound up with a shattered wooden arrow shaft that had gone through his wrist with long wooden shards of shattered arrow shaft sticking out between various fingers on that hand. He described it as the single most physically painful thing he had ever experienced, and the recovery with modern medical care took a long time.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wonder why we think that the UK population are so much less trustworthy than that of Australia and the US?

I know we are crowded, but so are areas there, and they have hunting seasons, hunting licenses etc....

In fact BR, the areas that are most crowded here mandate that ALL hunting be done by bow. It's perfectly legal to hunt with a bow right next to the flightline on the Air Force Base; but not with a firearm.

....Exactly how projectiles 'kill' is the subject of ongoing and heated debate. Whilst that point is under argument any discussion of the humane use of an arrow to take deer type quarry is going to be fraught.

However, reference to US oriented follow-up/ tracking works highlights a different approach between rifle bullet and arrow strikes. I do not have enough direct experience with arrow strikes to comment forcefully, but extrapolating from those works - presumably based on the experience I lack - is that the target is significantly more likely to be lost - whether dead or non -swiftly fatally injured.....

There's more than enough lost after being shot in the heart with a rifle or a shotgun slug as well. A white-tail will run a hundred yards before he realizes he's dead.

.....If you are a primitive skills craftsman, focus initially on making the arrows and the strings, not the bow. Making a bow that isn't just a temporary, disposable quick fix is a serious project and requires a lot of skill and experience to get right. You will most likely screw up the first few you make. In fact, one of the oldest bow samples ever recovered was found in the UK in a bog and it was tossed into the bog because the maker screwed it up and it broke. Otzi, the Iceman, if I recall, was still in the process of making a new bow when he died. It's not something that even those with skill and experience do quickly.......

Nose around the forum a bit. There's a lot of bow making proficiency in this group, and you'll find a few threads with members showing off their home made their own bows. Dwardo's bows are especially beautiful.

What would you hunt in England? Urban Foxes!....

Why not? Foxes, squirrels, rabbits/hares, ducks, geese, etc. Almost all small game can and is hunted with bows; not just deer sized critters. Specialized arrows are needed for different types of game. And yes, you can shoot ducks or geese on the wing. It's not for the lazy (or for the likes of me) you definitely need to practice, but it's done with a fair amount of regularity here.

Last edited:

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Santaman

I'm not going to get into a water temperature semantic discussion ;); yes deer are 'lost' with all methods of taking them. But the loss rate appears ( not is - because I do not know ) higher in the case of arrow v bullet. Reading the follow-up books will underline this. A lost dead animal is still a waste on so many levels and something all ethical gatherers seek to avoid.

Ultimately projectiles kill via tissue damage - either directly impinging on the function of an organ, indirect impingement - eg Pneumothorax or blood loss. Its important not to compare apples and oranges here, but in a somewhat arguably surreal measure of arrow and bullet being equal, a deer legal ( Uk measure ) bullet, the tissue destruction of the bullet ( with equal placement ) will be greater.

We could bury into the minutae - the water temp issue as above applies! ;) Your comment intimated a rebuttal of my assertion - and we'll just have to disagree on that, whilst I concur that your sentence as it stands isn't wrong - you are debating apples with oranges.

Of course you bring up a very relevant observation - the ethical gatherer trains to a high level for follow-up and the wise one has access to a suitable dog should it be required.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Nose around the forum a bit. There's a lot of bow making proficiency in this group, and you'll find a few threads with members showing off their home made their own bows. Dwardo's bows are especially beautiful.

Oh yes, there are definitely some skilled craftsmen here. My point was that someone just starting out will find building a bow that they can actually use well to be a daunting task, especially on the first, time consuming attempt. For most people, it's best to just get to shooting and practicing with a pre-made bow. For most people, their craftsmanship time is initially better spent learning to make arrows and bowstrings, which are essentially the consumable items in archery. Learning to make a proper bow and do it well is a much more time consuming project.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE