UK Bowhunting laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
An arrow undergoes different proportional stresses than any tool handle.

Fine, don't believe me, I've only been shooting arrows and bow hunting both large and small game for over three decades and I'm a certified instructor,.....

I'll see your 3 and raise you 2.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I'll see your 3 and raise you 2.

Great, then you won't mind firing dozens of practice shots a day out of a full strength compound bow with wooden arrows, reusing them.

BTW, I don't even trust carbon fiber arrows enough to do that for protracted period of time with a full strength compound bow. After a while they too will develop flaws and stand the risk of shattering, but takes them a while.

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
OK can we agree to differ now then please
You've both stated your pov's very well but I don't see this conversation progressing much further

GAZZ73

Mar 7, 2015
WIRRAL
For your information from an experienced bow hunter (travel to Bulgaria and Spain).

A typical bow used for hunting will be pushing 70 lbs, and will go straight through the rib cage of a Fallow Deer at 40 yards, using the correct broadhead.

And Katanas are not restricted. Anyone over 18 can buy one.

You sound like a gamekeeper.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thread resurrection:

I had a quick spin back through this thread and one thing slightly worried me.

Some posters (involved in reinactment) talked of shooting people with blunts. Now I have no doubt that they were being very careful with equipment etc but I'd like to clear one thing up; 'blunts'.

For reinactment shooting I suspect they'd be using something the size of a door stopper, made from rubber.

I used to hunt with 'blunts'; they were steel head shaped like a wadcutter bullet. The reason for using them was livestock safety; if I lost an arrow I didn't need to worry about a cow, horse or sheep standing on a sharp point. The 'wadcutter blunts' I used did terrible damage to animals when they hit. I've had one completely eviscerate a rabbit. No way would I risk one hitting a person, the injury caused could be very severe.

So if you are thinking of doing some shooting at people, play safe, get someone experienced in this to help. Someone very experienced.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
What was the point of that post? As you don't seem to know what a reenactment blunt is how can you issue warnings about them or their use? Reenactment arrows are shot either half drawn or from light bows at an angle of about 45 degrees. There should be a wa rning "incoming" or "ware arrows" or similar and the recipients do not look up to see the arrows coming. They can be dangerous, people have lost eyes and even one hitting the back of your hand can sting.

In controlled circumstance arrows will be shot directly at shield walls or fully armoured knights. When you think that participants cheerfully face yards of steel being waved about arrows are only one more mutually accepted risk.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The point was the original post talked about using 'blunts'. I was trying to point out that what are called 'blunts' in some places are really not suitable for shooting at people (even out of low power bows).

If you think it is safe to shoot people with the hunting blunts I described and used, really, you are unaware of the damage they can do. Even from a 24lb bow they can fully penetrate an animal the size of a rabbit. They'd go through someone's hand and do considerable damage and could probably penetrate a human skill if they struck at the temple or on the face.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thread resurrection:

I had a quick spin back through this thread and one thing slightly worried me.

Some posters (involved in reinactment) talked of shooting people with blunts. Now I have no doubt that they were being very careful with equipment etc but I'd like to clear one thing up; 'blunts'.

For reinactment shooting I suspect they'd be using something the size of a door stopper, made from rubber.

I used to hunt with 'blunts'; they were steel head shaped like a wadcutter bullet. The reason for using them was livestock safety; if I lost an arrow I didn't need to worry about a cow, horse or sheep standing on a sharp point. The 'wadcutter blunts' I used did terrible damage to animals when they hit. I've had one completely eviscerate a rabbit. No way would I risk one hitting a person, the injury caused could be very severe.

So if you are thinking of doing some shooting at people, play safe, get someone experienced in this to help. Someone very experienced.

Absolutely true. A hunting blunt can, and usually will, cause as much or more damage than steel ammo from a catapult.

What was the point of that post? As you don't seem to know what a reenactment blunt is how can you issue warnings about them or their use? Reenactment arrows are shot either half drawn or from light bows at an angle of about 45 degrees. There should be a wa rning "incoming" or "ware arrows" or similar and the recipients do not look up to see the arrows coming. They can be dangerous, people have lost eyes and even one hitting the back of your hand can sting.

In controlled circumstance arrows will be shot directly at shield walls or fully armoured knights. When you think that participants cheerfully face yards of steel being waved about arrows are only one more mutually accepted risk.

Not everybody reading the thread will be familiar with the differences. It's entirely possible for a beginner to not understand the differences.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE