Two bits of turning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here's two things I made for my wife as valentine's day gifts. She recently started a new job, so i thought some stuff for her new desk would meet with approval.

A simple coaster, with a lip, from a bit of spalted beech. Sized large enough to take a big mug.
16529989405_e5c4db6dbc_b.jpg

A small bowl, diameter not much more than the coaster, from brown oak. Was an absolute pig to work as it was so hard, and it took forever to sand out all the tool marks (maybe I should get better with the tools :rolleyes:) but I am really pleased with how this one came out in the end as the wall thickness is good and even, and it is my first properly flat-bottomed bowl.
16343691249_ebcede6d0f_b.jpg

Both items finished with a coat of a mix of walnut oil and beeswax applied on the lathe.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Both very nice indeed Mike, I think that's a lovely bit of Oak and I can imagine what it was like to work! I bet they met with great approval :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I love the randomness of Spalted wood. what sort of lathe do you have? Its something I want to try but done have anywhere to do it :(

Just a small lathe from Axminster. Tabletop version. Their cheapest one with variable speed. I would like larger but don't have room for it.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE