TV Lookout - Wild Gourmets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Don't pan fry beefsteak like they did, it will taste of tannin, it is supposed to be soaked for about an hour first. I was certainly surprised that it was classed as choice.

Common sorrel is very common, I can find it very easily, and so can most people when I point it out to them. I wouldn't go "wow what a find!!" like it is something spectacular. It taste really nice but it is as rare as blackberries.

I will watch it again though. The recipes are quite good, once you remove the dud ingredients.

But I will just be cautious of the information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Last night's episode wasn't too bad actually.
Strange however, they found jewsear fungus but called it monkeys ear. Perhaps it's become unwise to use it's original name?!?

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Oh that's what she said - I couldn't hear it properly. I thought we were calling them jelly
ears now, which seems to be a reasonably accurate description by the look of the things,
although I've never handled one.

I enjoyed the programme too - I missed the first one though.

B

Banjobill

S0rry but I just think it is totally naff and superficial in the extreme!

I said I would watch the second episode just to see if it improved, but if anything it was worse. Shan't waste my time watching anymore.

Why can't they make one of these programmes with someone who knows what they are talking about! (Ray Mears excepted, of course:rolleyes: )

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I think I will soldier on an carry on watching it even though the scripted narration is putting me to sleep. Interested though to see what else they cover.

George

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nobody calls them monkeys ears.

They are not a rare find either.

They are called jelly ears, jews ear, tree ears, ear fungi, but not monkey ears. The official english name is still jews ear, but it may change at a later date. I call it ear fungi.

All I can think of is that stupid bimbo was thinking of monkeys head fungi, which generally known as hedgehog fungus. Which is rare and a very choice food.

I got more than a little bored by that stupid Himbos bare butt being flashed about.

If I point fault at what they say about fungi, it makes me wonder how off the mark they are with other things such as shooting and fishing. Does pike taste good? Can you buy a weeks worth of veggies with 3 phesants?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Why can't they make one of these programmes with someone who knows what they are talking about! (Ray Mears excepted, of course:rolleyes: )

Presumably because the majority of programmes made these days are simply paper thin, cheap, entertainment for the masses, usually needing a new chef or home decorator with a new gimmick, like a different accent or a big tongue or an unusual hair style. I imagine that there is a certain amount of TV quality available at any given time, so that when I grew up with only BBC1 and ITV the quality was good and thick, now with hundreds of Sky channels, that quality is spread very thinly.

:soapbox:

Geoff

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I like a few others watched the second programme to see if it got any better: the answer is NO. That guy in reality doesn't know from one of a shot gun to the other, It contains 270 pellets not one, hey thats a size 6 cartridge did he mention the others, proberbly doesn't know they exist.
The best one was the pike fishing, the main prey of this fish is Perch, don't you mean its main rival, few fish eat perch due to there spines that run along its back and they are good size fish, those of us who fish will know them as jack pike (baby ones), where do they get these people.

enough said.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hmm... Car drives in and man gets out to unload pheasants... oh hang on... the man on the stall might just have noticed the camera crew who had arrived and set up first!

Like a lot of these shows I wonder how much difference that makes when it comes to trading with folk. e.g. generic antique buying/selling show (too many to name):
Without film crew I go up to antique stall. Me."How much for that thingy" Stallholder "Fifty quid" Me "Twenty quid" Stallholder "B_____r off"
With film crew I go up to antique stall. Me."How much for that thingy" Stallholder "Fifty quid" Me "Twenty quid" Stallholder [looks at camera]"Oh go on then!"

Has anyone tried just turning up to a farm shop with some wild food and tried bartering?

Cheers,
Steve

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
I'm glad im not the only one who finds this show deeply irritating, mainly down to the presenters and their lack of knowledge/charisma. I certainly didn't learn anything new and to anyone who didnt know about any of the things covered in this show i think the program would be very misleading to watch, making things look easier than they are in reality.
Josh

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My uncle, who knows nothing about the outdoors thought it to be innacurate and a load of nonsense

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE