TV Lookout - Wild Gourmets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Having been disappointed by the first programme, I was really hoping that the show would settle down a bit. Sadly it was just the same butterfly-flitting from one thing to another without ever really showing how to do stuff.

If they stuck to one recipe or main food item per show and followed it from start to finish then that would be interesting. But they cram too much stuff into their half hour and it just feels like an advertisement for the book (which, in fairness, is quite good).

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
hmmm, got to say I wasnt too impressed, missed most of the first show but caught the second last night. As many have said on this thread its kinda empty of any real facts or tips and what is there tends to be inacurrate! Also with regard to xylarias post with the whole 'monkeys ear fungus' thing, I was always told they were jews ears fungus, is this the PC watchdog at channel 4 not wanting to offend any one or did she make a mistake? I think its the first personally as anyone who has ever picked up a mushroom book could identify these, and as for them being some gastranomic treat they taste like rubbery wood mulch! Anyway rant over I'll probably keep watching as it is at least more interesting than most of the pap they show.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
hmmm, got to say I wasnt too impressed, missed most of the first show but caught the second last night. As many have said on this thread its kinda empty of any real facts or tips and what is there tends to be inacurrate! Also with regard to xylarias post with the whole 'monkeys ear fungus' thing, I was always told they were jews ears fungus, is this the PC watchdog at channel 4 not wanting to offend any one or did she make a mistake? I think its the first personally as anyone who has ever picked up a mushroom book could identify these, and as for them being some gastranomic treat they taste like rubbery wood mulch! Anyway rant over I'll probably keep watching as it is at least more interesting than most of the pap they show.

Well if its the PC crowd influencing the terminology, they have got it wrong. Its called the jews ear as it grows mainly on the elder, the same tree from which judas hung himself. Lots of of irreguarities on the program although the scenary is great, however they know little about fungus beef steak is not a delicacy, sorrel especially common or sheep head sorrel is very common, and pike dont normally go for perch and she should have checked a bit more or at least mentioned the problems with correctly identifying mushrooms.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well folks compared to the other tosh that is on I quite enjoyed it!
Maybe on my own here but taint all that bad, it could be really great but keeps bending the wire for me! I will still watch it and Jamie Oliver who most people seem to be deeply irritated by!
Dave

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I liked it, but I only saw the last bit of it as I remembered to switch on for Tribe
and was channel hopping. What I saw I enjoyed though - they were quite
enthusiastic about catching fish.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
must admit I thought it was ok ---quite liked the fish smoker wonder if it really worked --must say better than corry or enders any day

I'm in two minds about this prog.

Part of me wants to encourage it as an antidote to the normal dross on telly nowadays.

Another part of me cringes over the factual inaccuracies (the researchers need sacking!) and the macho posturing by Guy Grieve (alright - we saw it last episode now put it away!).

It did open my mind to the possibility of eating pike though.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Haven't had pike for a while but I remember enjoying it.

Thanks to my nephew (he was 8) for catching all 14lb of it and my mam for cooking it. :D

Not seen the TV show but just started reading the book.

Stu

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
I'm in two minds about this prog.

Part of me wants to encourage it as an antidote to the normal dross on telly nowadays.

Another part of me cringes over the factual inaccuracies (the researchers need sacking!) and the macho posturing by Guy Grieve (alright - we saw it last episode now put it away!).

It did open my mind to the possibility of eating pike though.

Pike is totaly under rated, all that rubbish about it tasting like mud and being a dirty fish is total trash, it feeds on fish for goodness sake, it the same as people who rate cod over pollack, one eats all the crap in the sea the other is a fish feeder, i rate pollack over cod any day.

Pike is totaly under rated, all that rubbish about it tasting like mud and being a dirty fish is total trash, it feeds on fish for goodness sake, it the same as people who rate cod over pollack, one eats all the crap in the sea the other is a fish feeder, i rate pollack over cod any day.

Totally agree on the Pollack - only because I've caught and eaten one myself! - far superior to Cod.

I think we still have "traditions" about food in this country that are hard to shake off - one of them being the edibility of freshwater fish (indeed it's an unofficial rule amongst most coarse anglers that you always put it back) - whereas most continentals nosh away!

It takes time and education (of the sort you have just provided combatblade1).

I think we are getting there though. I recently asked a French chef why he had chosen to base his business in UK - his reply? "British cuisine is on the way up - French cuisine is on the way down" Whether this is true or not, we Brits are certainly becoming more open to new ideas and I suppose what is good about this programme is that it continues that spirit of being open to something different - despite the inaccuracies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE